Profile picture for cc9307

Let me reask my question because I got an answer that my question was confusing.

If my property value went from $420,000 to $340,000, this happened a year ago.  I did not have my property reassess by county office.  If I do so now, can I get a refund of this the difference I have been paying?  If so how do I get it through taxes or wait for refund?  Or am not entitled to these funds?
  • February 12 2010 - US
  • 0

Every jurisdiction is different. You'll have to call your local tax office for that answer.

If I was a betting man, I'd say you won't recieve a refund. Every area does a value review (assessment) at a set time. Some every year, some every 5 years, and some rural areas every 10 years.

Check with your local assessment office for that specific answer.

Best of Luck! -Pat 

here is what I have found out over the years with helping out client address this situation.  First if your property was reassed by the local county and if it's lower the taxes should come down over the following year.  One thing a lender might have you do is get a appraisal to show the true value of the home and take the county tax info and adjust your taxes.  You will want to follow up with your local county property tax asseror to make sure the updated info has been sent to your lender.  So if you are escrow with your payment for taxes and insurance your lender will adjust your account and payment.  On possible money coming back to you.  Each year a lender will do a escrow valuation to make sure they are collecting enough for taxes.  They can only hold so much extra in a escrow account for taxes so if there is to much they will send you a escrow refund check in the mail for the overage's. 
  Now if your not escrowing for taxes with the payment you have to take that up with the tax collector and work on getting the money back.  If you need further help or questions feel free to call

If your property tax assessment has changed, it will be reflected in your tax bill.   If you are paying property taxes through escrow, then your escrow amount hopefully will drop at their annual evaluation.

If you wish to challenge your property tax assessment, there is usually a very small window to do so about the time when the tax bill arrives in the mail box.  For your area, call the assessors office for some details on this subject.

You will not get a refund of your over payment of taxes. If your tax rate is too high you need to appeal them. Successful appeals happen when the purchase price or appraised value is lower than the assessed value. You must prove that the taxes are based on a value that is too high to win the appeal. You can use the comp list from your area and select houses like yours that sold to try to make a case for the value of your house. Zillow has a video here to help you find comps on the site. They also have an article here on picking the best comps for your house.

You can also use the Zindex for your area to look at the % of change in values in your zip code. Assessor's will not consider Zestimate values on your house or other as they are not appraisals, but only an opinion. What they will use is sold comparable houses to yours and the % change in your zip code market here. If you are doing a tax appeal, that is the best information you can come to the table with on a tax appeal short of paying for an appraisal. If you build your case, you can win, but come prepared. One number like the change in your Zestimate will not make the case to win your appeal. You might also consider asking a local agent for a CMA (comparative market analysis) on your house. Some will do it for free if you have worked with them before, others may charge a small fee for their professional time. The more solid information you have the more likely you are to win your appeal. You can might also want to consider paying for an $300-500 appraisal to try to win your appeal. Hope the links and info helps. 

It is very common today to see assessed values for property tax  purposes higher than the actual and current fair market value of the prooperty given the decrease over the last few years. You can contact the Assessor's office in your county to find out the local process for disputing the current assessed value. However, with that being said most counties, that I am aware of, will not ever reimburse or refund you for any payments you believe were based on too high of value. The good news is that you can appeal the value but you should start with a phone call to the county.