Profile picture for samthayer

Listing Accuracy

I understand your site is just a front-end for real estate listings by other companies, but I have to tell you that I have been looking for a house for almost six months, using your website.  The size of the lot is important to me.  I am constantly finding homes on a corner lot in a housing development which are listed as 485,000 square foot lot.  My frustration is complete and I am not using Zillow in the future, because the listings are so innaccurate.  Do some due diligence and oversight. 
  • September 21 2011 - Hunters Chase II
  • 0

Zillow has some really great tools, but accuracy of listings or statistics for TX is certainly not one of them.  Some listings linger on the site for months or even years after they sold because agents don't keep up with them or from which syndincation source it's coming from.

Your best bet is to work with a Realtor who can look for updated and accurate and filter the listings for you.

Naima

Profile picture for samthayer
I would think  a site as prominent as Zillow would require and/or enforce some sort of accuracy by the listing brokers.  I don't see as much error on other sites like Trulia, Redfin, etc.

Hi Sam,

I can understand your frustration. But you have to understand that Zillow obtains their information from county public records.

Often a realtor on my local mls system will list a lot size as "irregular" and I will check the size on public records only to find the information isn't available. Luckily the mls has a link to state wide plate maps where I can obtain lot dimensions.

If you want a minimum lot size, ask a local realtor to send you listings that meet your criteria. That will save you time and aggravation.

Lot sizes ARE an issue especially in Texas. I dont find it to be an issue here in California, though in Zillow. It works pretty well, at least in my area.

Why not simply go to the local board MLS, its here...

http://realestate.sabor.com/

...you can search by lot size there and it is probably more accurate....