Listing agent says home is closing, MLS says "Active" and status has never changed.

A few weeks ago we found a home we were interested in. The listing states "possible short sale" in the private remarks. The listing agent told ours that we couldn't see the house because it already has a contract on it. Since the status has never changed from "active", our agent contacted them again last week to see if maybe something fell through. They said it was closing Monday of this week. The house STILL says it's active. 

It has not once changed status in the 100 or so days it has been on the market. The other short sales with contracts that we've seen are listed as "active - contingent" and the contingency usually states "lender approval." This one doesn't even say that.

I'm really confused by this. Shouldn't the status be changed to at least contingent? Maybe something else is going on here that I don't understand, or maybe she just doesn't mind wasting everybody's time.  We are first time home buyers and this entire process has been pretty frustrating so far. Over half of the homes we've had our agent call about already have contracts, even though they're still listed as active. At least with those, they are changed in the system a couple of days later. 

I don't know if this matters or not, but I am getting this information straight from the MLS, not Zillow or similar sites. Any thoughts on this? 
  • July 18 2014 - US
  • 0

Best Answer

Profile picture for Hannah Tai Homes
Certain Multiple Listing Services do require agents to change the status within a certain time-frame. I would have your agent check with the particular regulations of the area, and if she sees a violation, report it to her local board. One of my personal pet-peeves! Consumers deserve accurate and up to date information in order to make good decisions!

Thanks y'all! We are in Texas, so I looked it up and it says the status should be changed within 3 days. I guess this agent just doesn't care. I would be livid if I had to deal with people like this on a regular basis. Kudos to the good agents out there! 

Profile picture for Guy Jones

You are correct. The status should be changed but this is no different than anything else and its always hard to get EVERYONE to do what they are supposed to do. I believe that we will get what we are supposed to, so if that happens that just means that property is not for you but something better is. Hopefully, your search will not be too much longer. Good Luck!

Many sellers do not wish to change the status until the home sale has closed, because if the sale falls through they wish to have interest.     Therefore, it can be frustrating from a buyer's perspective, but it is one of those annoying realities of real estate.