Profile picture for bj973

Listing agent showed cottage - Do I have to use him to write offer?

I'm in Michigan.  I saw a cottage I was interested in, but it was about 3 hours from home. I asked the listing agent to show it.  He did, along with two other similar places. I have an agent that I typically use in my real estate transactions at home, however, she was not involved in the cottage search.  

Who should write the offer?  I'm not a huge fan of dual agency due to inherent conflict of interest.

May 29 - West Branch

Is your normal agent a member of this MLS since it's 3 hours away? If he/she isn't then they would be unable to open that lock box if it's keypad access anyway. The listing agent represents the seller but may allow you to bring in the buyer agent anyway and just be happy with the sale. Speak to your agent, speak to the list agent, and then do what you feel is right.

May 29
I am not in Michigan but if you have an agent you generally use...then they should have showed you the property.  I don't care for dual agency myself. However, the listing agent showed you the house.  He can sue for the commission if you purchase the home through your agent. (most go through dispute resolution)I worked managing litigation for real estate error and omission insurance in most states.  The listing agent will prevail.  As another agent indicated...the listing agent is the procuring cause of you seeing that property.  Also, it is what is fair. 

May 29
The listing agent represents the seller AND now has procuring cause.  Your agent is pretty much out of the game.   Which lake is it on?

May 29
It depends on whether or not you signed an exclusive agreement to represented by this agent for these specific properties.  If you didn't sign an exclusive for theses properties, you as a buyer have the right to hire a buyer representative to look out for your best interest. I would just be up front with the listing agent and express your concern.

May 29
If the listing agent showed you the property they have procuring cause of sale. You will need to have your agent show you the property. Good Luck!

May 29
The listing agent will likely have expectations that he or she represent you, however, unless you have signed a representation agreement, you aren't obligated to submit an offer through them.  Best practice is to be fully open and to let the listing agents know, at the time of your tour, that you have an agent you're working with.  Many buyers like to submit offers through the listing agent, as they believe it may enhance their ability to have their offer chosen.  Good luck whatever you end up doing.  

May 29