Profile picture for farmboy11

Listing agent wanted me too sign.....

Went too see a home today with the listing agent.  At the end he wanted me too sign a form the had his real estate company on the header.  He told me that it wasnt for a buyers agreement and said he wasnt trying too pull a fast one I glanced at it.  It looked pretty formal duel agency on it and such I told him im not signing anything why would I? I didnt even like the home I have never I have never been asked to sign anything we I looked at other home with the listing agent.  He said it was state law?  I said no you can make me sign anything why would I when I dont know what I am signing and taking his word what it says in the document!  Also It was one of the simple sheets on a table too say you were in the home anybody please respond im wondering if i should report this to someone?????  I was getting mad at him he kinda chase me when I walk out of the house like a used car salesman!!!!!!!!!!! 
  • February 20 2010 - US

Profile picture for The Morrisseys
It could be mandatory disclosure, which we have in Mass and Rhode Island. The form is law and its purpose is to state to the potential home buyer, if they come directly to the listing agent, that the agent is representing the seller. The list agent still owes to the potential buyer truth, disclosures, ect, ect. But it needs to be signed so there is no confusion about the role of the agent. If the potential buyer refuses to sign, there is a check box on the bottom of the form stating that. The agent signs that and shows the house. It is not a contract, it is just clarifying the role of the agent so there will be no trouble later. The list agent can still write up an offer with the customer, but will give no guidance as to price, reasons for selling, etc., unless instructed to by the seller.

Profile picture for Mark LeMenager
Why in the world would anybody want to waste their time calling up 10 different listing agents to make appointments to see homes.  Get a Buyer's Agent to do the leg work for you.  You do realize that you don't save any money by going to the listing agent directly, don't you?  All that will happen is that they will collect double commission and you will lose your advocate in the transaction.

Mark (aka farmboy from Illinois)

Jerry et al.,

What state requires this form? All of them?

And, does it require a signature from the person having the "substantive conversation"?

Lastly, does walking into an open house and asking general questions equate to a "substantive conversation"?

I think the agent was reviewing the State Agency Disclosure Form. This is not a contract and it is required by state law that all real estate agents review this form with anyone who is have any substantive conversation in regards to real estate. It exists to review with all parties what role the real estate agent is working under. The states want the general public to be aware of the fiduciary responsibilities the agent has with buyers and sellers when dealing with real estate. 
It sounds like the agent was not effective in reviewing the form. State law requires every agent to review this form with you. Sounds as though your local agents are a bit relaxed.

I'd respect you all a lot more if you weren't trying to make the "sounds like a standard form, just poor communication" line fly. One of your own is dragging your profession's reputation down, and you don't have the integrity needed to own up to it.

There's no reason to sign the disclosure unless the "lookee" is planning on using the agent, either in a dual-agency or buyer-agency role. This agent sounds like he was being uber-optimistic (or, from the consumer's perspective, aggressive) and hopinig to at least gain representation for the OP. And, in the process, he told a few half-truths to try and strong-arm the OP into signing.

And you all wonder why many people have a low opinion of the RE business.

Profile picture for Genie Shook
If you are not comfortable with it and don't understand what you are signing, then don't. You may want ot use another agent ot show you homes as well. Just be glad that he only chased you to your car, thank goodness he didnt bite your tires! :)

Profile picture for farmboy11

Also I just want to say this I have seen about 10 homes with listing agents and never had to sign anything even when I said I was interested and I will let you know If I want too make an offer.  Besides I was always raid never to sign anything without reading it and understanding and nver take the persons word for what im signing it looked a bit detailed.

Profile picture for falsedawn

It sounds like a standard disclose form explaining the roles of agents (seller's, buyer's, dual etc.). It's pretty benign. Your signature is just to acknowledge that you have received a copy of it, nothing more, nothing less.

That was just poor communication on his part.  If you feel like he was a "used car salesman" and he obviously is not communicating clearly, I woulld consider finding a new agent. 

I would contact his broker for an explanation, but otherwise would just steer clear of the guy.  He doesn't sound very professional. 

Profile picture for farmboy11
Ok but why sign anything until I decide I honestly want too make any offer why should I have too sign anything till that point.  meaning why didnt he say you will need too sing this form before seeing the home?

It really depends on what the document was.  Real estate agents are required in most states to disclose to all parties if they represent the seller, the buyer or both parties.  It is possible he was the listing agent on this house and so was required by law to inform you of this fact and have you sign something acknowleging that he disclosed that he is also the selling agent and could have a potential conflict of interest.

It sounds like he did not do a good job of explaining this though and you might want to find an agent who communicates better.  This could become a reoccuring issue if you decide to put in an offer and he does not clearly communicate the status and what needs to be done.