Location, Location, location, and yet another location.

We've all heard the additive "Location, Location, Location", well you can add yet another reason to consider location.  Cost!  What is the cost of living/building in this area compared to that area? 

[promotion deleted by Zillow moderator.  Please refer to our Good Neighbor Policy and RachelR's post here for guidelines.]

October 04 2011 - Milton

What is going on with the question section turning into a realtor promo section?

I did not think that was what this is for, it is a public forum for questions......

thanks,
Beth Jenkins

Was not and did not promo.  just simply gave advice about location and seeking a professional.  Moderator.  I have reviewed.  Since there were no links, emails, etc.  Only street names of properties, (which are not my listings).  Having read the "Good Neighbor" policy and RachelR's post... why was the content removed.

Beth.  General gist was to open the topic up for discussion and advice.  There is more to location such as property taxes, rural dev vs FHA, flood zones.  It closed with seek a professional.  Not call me at XYZ. 

Sorry if that offends you.

The answer is  simple - buyers pay for location. Take two identical houses. House A is on a busy street across from a  gas station. House B is located on a quiet cul-de-sac. Guess which house will cost more. Consumers seek out and are willing to pay for what they perceive as the best location they can afford.

Hi Willie:  I had a chance to read your post before it was zapped by a Z moderator.   I had the same gut response as Beth - very strong on the promotion.

By the way, how is employment in your area?  Why is Florida a couple of percentage points above the national average in unemployment?  What's the foreclosure rate in your area?   The weather?  Any mountains to climb, trails to hike, ski slopes to enjoy? 

No need to defend when there was nothing wrong.  Wetdawgs my previous post was could be considered an ad. (which u also responded)  I had not read the guidelines.  This was not.  and oh yes--  not a politician and would not try nor am I trying to 'lure' you to this area.  Zillow allows the post to pertain to a certain area or sub-area. 

Beth.  A customer should know why they would pay more in one area than another do you not agree?  Same house same price but different payments can also be contributed to location.  Just another thing to consider.  Not everything is white/black.  Or South Beach probably has a different tax rate than the suburbs.  As a consumer, I would want to know why I pay more even thought the price tag may be the same.

Kathleen you are right on point.  The original message before it was 'bleeped' out.  Gave a scenario, where the person could purchase a home for $10000 less but still pay more in their month PITI, because of insurance and taxes. 

Back to work here.  God Bless.

Welcome to Zillow Willie.  I'm glad you had a chance to read the guidelines.

Thoughtful participation in advice can offer tremendous opportunities for triggering business, but it is indirect.   Playing by the rules, giving great answers, providing great information - those things are noticed by potential clients.  Many agents have had calls from potential clients who've noticed thoughtful posts on advice.  

One participant posted a while back offering some ideas on how to build a great reputation by posts on advice.  Here's a link.

Willie,k I do not know why content was removed, all I did was post my observation, the monitors must have noticed something.

I am not "offended", nothing was directed at me, I simply feel what you are doing is blogging, and this is just not a blogging forum.  It is for the consumer to ask questions and realtors, or other interested parties respond.  But maybe this forum is a lot different than Trulia's  which I am more familiar with.

Again, a blog is more geared toward giving the type of information you want the consumer to know.  

But, I will continue to do what I do....and you go ahead and do what you do:)

Beth Jenkins 

Good Stuff, Beth!
Dan of all the hecklers.  LOL.  Thanks.  Makes a lot of sense now.  In my small market there are not many post here.  I'd like for that to change.  Many of the questions repeat and are not locale specific.  This is also my aim.  I cannot give a customer advice on the Orlando market except for the basics or statewide programs, but I have a liaison there who know the area.  A blog is a viable option.  

Thanks for being so, helpful. 

Willie    

Willie, if you aren't already on ActiveRain, you should sign up. It is a blogging site just for RE and RE-related professions. I post answers & questions here and blog on Trulia and others. Too bad Zillow doesn't have a blog. You can learn a lot from many excellent RE pros at AR. You can read mine to see the variety allowed - market reports, opinions, open houses, etc., at [Link to personal page on AR removed by Zillow Moderator]

Thank you Michelle.  I will message you for the link. 

Profile picture for SoCal_Engr

I bought new construction back in 2003. Same house, same floor plan, different location (still in S'Diego...sort of), much lower price. I never have found exactly where, but it'd be interesting to see how the values compare now.

Profile picture for SoCal_Engr
Couldn't find the houses in the "other area". However, general prices in that area are down 25%-or-more from original sale prices, and there are foreclosures all over. Also, a house I designed but did not build (because it was less expensive to buy my current house) is now valued at about 65% of my current house's estimated value.

So? Location seems to make a difference - even when it's only 30'ish miles.

Willie you can find Michelle's blog on Active Rain the first link here. Trulia also has a blogging platform. You can also do a wordpress or blogspot blog for free. In fact, Zillow academy here has free webinars on starting a wordpress blog and on tools to promote your business on Zillow and the web.

I have attended several webinars to see what it was about and they were great. Now I have my own blog. They are no substitute for interacting online, but they are a great way to post longer written pieces or information for people.

Willie, "Dan of all the hecklers.  LOL." Yup, that would be me. Seriously, take a look at my zillow profile. It is almost completely blogs about the house buying process. I would not suggest you follow that format as a professional. However, if you look at the links inside and read the blogs you will see what I think buyers need.

My blogs were written by someone who wanted to buy a house and found a few things out. Yes, some are to detailed but that means they cover issues in an exhaustive manner. If you wish you can post blogs on trulia but the spamblogs quickly cover up the few that are worth reading unless you bump them up by posting (or editing) a comment on them or editing the blog) 1-3 times a day.

I have not written a blog for quite awhile now. The reason is my blogs had a purpose. Once that purpose was met I had no reason to blog just to blog. I only mean to say only write a blog that has a reason to be written.

Do not blog just to blog. Cover the things that make your area special. Cover the basic things a buyer would want to know. Write about the good, the bad, and the ugly in your area. Once you have covered what you think buyers need to know keep those blogs on your personal real estate website. A 4 year old blog (updated as needed) can be the difference between someone choosing you or someone else.

You can put up temporary blogs covering current events as long as they are removed shortly after the events are history. No one looking for an agent will be impressed to see that there was an art fair in 2008.

A blog should showcase your knowledge and expertise. If you talk about your area and show its pluses and minuses you could be seen as impartial and not just trying to create a sale.

There was an art fair in 2008?!? And I missed it. Dang why....why.. why? lol

I agree with Dan's advice. I started a blog to give people longer information and links in one place so I could find them easily. Dan's blog is good, I like Rockinblu's, I read Alan May  and lots of others too. They all offer a different point of view, they are interesting to read and they are all honest.

Thanks again Sunny more good info.

Thank you Dan.  Excellent points.  Now you should know by the few posts that I long ago looked at your profile.  :)   

Profile picture for Willie Craig Jr
Latest reply by Willie Craig Jr

1. 7013 Overman St # 0, Bagdad, FL Home For Sale
    7013 Overman St # 0, Bagdad, FL 32530

For Sale: $900

2. 3115 Southfork Dr # 0, Pace, FL Home For Sale
    3115 Southfork Dr # 0, Pace, FL 32571

3. 3304 Kingswood Ct # 5-A, Pensacola, FL Home For Sale
    3304 Kingswood Ct # 5-A, Pensacola, FL 32514