Profile picture for PJ Sassifras

Location, location, location....

Just found out a house in California Park (the "it" area of Chico) built the same year as ours, 100 sq ft smaller, smaller lot and looked very similar to ours in both decoration and layout sold for $90K more than my current asking price. Some homes in Calif Pk, have beautiful views of the canyon, the gold course or are situated on a small, man made lake (West Nile, anyone?), but this house isn't one of those. It's crammed in the middle w/ no views. I know location makes a difference and the fact I live near the train doesn't help, but $90K, seriously?
  • November 30 2007 - US
  • 0

crap

Profile picture for Angelique01
No kidding.

I'm telling you PJ, this CA market is whacked. I seriously can't make rhyme or reason out of why some things sell and others don't.

Profile picture for PJ Sassifras
LMAO, pinks, I think he's looking to Bev Hills, Paris Hilton's pad, I believe. Besides, he's a Doomer now, didn't you know?

Profile picture for PJ Sassifras
LMAO!!! Personally, I think it's either a good indicator that we've hit bottom (you know, "The Memo") or the first sign of the Apocalypse.

He just had a hard time the other night. We'll have to force him back to the light.

he said he went on a nj real estate site today and they started calling him a doomer

Profile picture for PJ Sassifras
He also admitted prices were dropping in NYC. It was quite shocking.

Alright, ladies, I'm off to decorate my tree! Nite!

nite..OMG cute pic!! LMAO

Profile picture for Angelique01
Very cute pic, PJ.

Does that bunny have bucked teeth? sooo cute!

Profile picture for PJ Sassifras
Not since I was a 13 yr old bunny, braces. :)

Profile picture for prim2007
JSegress, I'm not sure your situation is that unusual for what I've been seeing. There is a townhome in Pasadena that was very nicely decorated by the "Designed to Sell" team back in July but hasn't sold yet because it's near a fire station. The agent said something about the station not being allowed to turn on sirens for at least 2 blocks out but nobody trusted the info at the open house. Since seeing this place, I noticed other properties near the area, not as nice are selling at a higher price. Many buyers are afraid of the potential noise created from being near trains, airport, firestations, etc. When inventory levels drop, buyers will be more likely to be more flexible on this issue.

Here's the link:
http://www.zillow.com/HomeDetails.htm?zprop=2146883080

By, the way sellers dropped price by $20K so maybe it will sell soon.

Profile picture for bethrahrig
Our first home had a train in the back yard. It's funny, after a week, you don't even hear it. Turn a fan on at night, and you don't hear it at all. In fact, it was probably worse than PJ's, there were switching tracks. Every once in a while, I'd be dozing on a float in the pool, and I'd hear BANG!, from the cars bumping together. That would scare the bejeepers outta ya!

Profile picture for 2 Big 2 Fail
I don't burn houses pink. I strip them down to the studs. LOL

Profile picture for PJ Sassifras
Exactly, bethrahrig, you know what I'm talking about. We're between two crossings. They're not supposed to blow the horn behind the house, occasionally one does. Very rarely a train comes to a stop behind the house and that final bang does make you go "Hey, train behind the house!". Actually, we usually go "Oh great, what did those pesky college kids leave out on the track THIS time to make the train stop? Couch? College kid?" I've lived here for 9 yrs and loved every minute of it.

I'll just have to wait patiently for my buyer.

Profile picture for PJ Sassifras
LMAO! I know, sad isn't it?

I think it's funny that people have a problem with trains. I lived close to tracks at one point, and you really don't even hear it after a while.

Profile picture for Luv2cook
Same thing here in Camarillo PJ - houses that are on the west side of town, built in the 60's go for about $100K less than the houses on the west side of town where we want to live. A couple of the differences are - views - they are important. I would LOVE to get a home with a mountain view instead of the back of someone's house. And...schools - this side of town goes to a different (and more desirable) high school than the other side of town. At least in my opinion. So we're hoping the prices drop a little more by the time we need to buy next summer.

But - after selling my previous home in a not-so-good location - I can see it as VERY important to me in the next house I buy!!!! I don't want to go through that again!

Profile picture for PJ Sassifras
I know, Marci, everyone says that, but in this market.......we're batting around the idea of just giving up.

pinks, what the heck is that?

Profile picture for Luv2cook
Oh, and speaking of train tracks - I have hesitated at even looking at houses in a neighborhood near a pretty busy train track. But....the prices sure are lower, so it's tempting.

Profile picture for PJ Sassifras
Luv2cook, we actually have the better grammar school (so I'm told by everyone who has kids) on this side of town and we're super close to it (I can hear the kids playing in the playground from my back yard). I don't know how the high schools stack up, I should I ask around.

Profile picture for PJ Sassifras
LMAO!! Luv2cook, I didn't see your second post. I'm doomed. :(

You aren't doomed, it's just you, like Shanny, were dealing with a df agent and buyer.

Profile picture for PJ Sassifras
Ahhh, now I do. It reminds me of the Fremont Troll in Seattle http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/WASEAtroll.html

You're right, Marci, feeling a little "stuck" lately. Can't go forward, can't go back. We need another Zillow Seller to go under contract to boost my spirits. Pinks, what do you say? Your turn? House completely de-smelled?

Profile picture for prim2007
Which is worse, a bad view (i.e. view of dumpster) or being near tracks? Right now, I'm looking at a home with the view of a church playground in the back. Would you buy a home with this?

Profile picture for PJ Sassifras
Is overlooking a church playground a bad view? What are the alternatives? Staring at the side of someone's house?

Personally, I love to people watch and children at play would be hilarious. But, I'm also the dodo who bought next to the train tracks, so clearly, I have no common sense.

Profile picture for bethrahrig
PJ,

Maybe you should do a search for blogs/bulletin boards for train buffs or model train buffs and post it there. You've probably done it already

Profile picture for bethrahrig
Or, hey, maybe put a sign in the local hobby shop.

Profile picture for Luv2cook
PJ, you aren't doomed - I actually like the sound of a train, and others do too - just not in my back yard! Some of the homes near the tracks are further away - those I will look at. How close are you to the tracks - and is it an intersection where they blast the horn???

1. 1
  2. 2