Lockboxes

What's everyone's opinion on lockboxes? I hate when combinations are very obvious like ABC. Do you think electronic lockboxes should be mandated?
  • August 28 2013 - US
  • 0

Best Answer

I think combo boxes says "Im too lazy or cheap to be a professional".  Electronic boxes are the only way to protect the seller's by knowing WHO came into the house and when. 

Combos are fine as back up or foreclosures, but I always put an electronic one. 

As for on going fees:  once we buy our lockboxes in my market we own then.  We do have an on going "Key" fee but it is reasonable (Less than or around $200/yr depending on the type you have) and it can be paid monthly or semi annually.  

Profile picture for CallTheSisters
We work in a 5 board area.  We are only allowed to install 3 boards per key.  Other agents come into our area who don't have our boards keys.

The majority of sellers require 24 hour notice.  Tenant occupied properties require notice and confirmation.  We don't have a "go and show" market.

Some agents notoriously do not bother to call and surprise sellers.  I prefer to use a combo lock box because the other agent HAS to call me.

All lock boxes have issues! Electronic ones seem to be the best in your local market but here in rural Ga. it is not unusual to show a listing 30 miles from your office.  The MLS systems are not the same and therefore your key does not work.  The listing office may well be 20 to 30 miles from their listing for them to come and unlock the door so most are having to do both the electronic and combo lock.  With all the technology available today why are we Realtors so far behind on getting a lock that works for all occasions?

Electronic boxes have worked best for me when showing properties to buyers.  I was given the incorrect combo several times and it was frustrating and embarrassing.

I like the electronic box for reasons already mentioned, you know who has been to the house, it creates more accountability. 

Profile picture for Blue Nile
"Do you think electronic lockboxes should be mandated?" -

Really, what an owner wants for their property security while on the market, should be up to the owner, and should be negotiated and clearly communicated with their potential agent prior to any listing agreement.

Some owners are going to require web-cams and for the listing agent to monitor and record people going to the property.

I'm definitely not into the "hide it under a rock"... too many people look there.  Keep the spare key in the car or office, and make the selling agent drive to get it if someone lost the original.  Besides, once an original is lost, all the locks have to be replaced or re-keyed.

I only use electronic ones and add a CBS (Call before show) code to my listings. I like to start my communication early with people showing my listings and agents that don't have a ekey is their problem. Vince Curtis has the best response to be honest.

The problem with the electronic boxes is the ongoing, never ending monthly fees for the boxes, even if they are not in use.

Profile picture for larryeul
In my opinion, an electronic box is the ONLY way to go... combo? Showing aagent writes code on listing, buyers see it, or agent mumbles code trying to open.. you give out the code, no idea who will use it next.
  My SentriLock box records date and time and agent using box. Nothing is perfect, but this is close... I can view showings online, or go to box to upload most recent showings/box openings. Again, Electronic box the only way to go.

As a Realtor, I always supply both combo lock boxes and electronic ones, then hide a key under a rock when someone loses one of those keys...