Profile picture for Jacob Gulledge

Look at the pics of 2745 E Street, Springfield, OR. How likely am I to sell this home FSBO.

December 17 2012 - Springfield

Best Answer
Hi Jacob. I'm not licensed in OR, so I'm not writing this to sell myself.  This is simply my opinion...no strings attached.  Good mix of pics for your property though they appear dark.  You could also benefit from a wider angle...by zooming completely out and by standing in the doorway of the room. They goal is to accurately represent the size of the space your shooting.  Brightness can be fixed in a photo editing program, but I suggest you re-take the pics.

Most digital cameras perform metering to measure the brightness of the space during the auto-focus process right before the shot. If the camera meters off the light coming in through the windows, the rest of the frame will appear dark.

Now, to answer your question...
Good marketing gets houses sold. The more people see your property, the more likely you are to find a buyer.  Of course, your ad needs to bring prospective buyers to look at it in the first place.  The ad and pics you posted online are like a resume. Resume's get you the interview, then you have to sell yourself. Your ad is just like that...the goal is to get prospective buyers in the door, then the house should sell itself. And, it must present the best appearance possible (clean, good paint, no musty smells, decor...try renting some designer furniture).

Most FSBO's try to do it on their own because they wish to avoid paying commission to a Realtor. But what they don't realize is that a good Realtor can market effectively and bring buyers to the table. They can give you presentation tips and possibly sell the property for more and offset the commission.  Commissions, by the way, are totally negotiable...and there are different types of contracts available with your Realtor. Ask them about it.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!
Jason

Profile picture for Jacob Gulledge
To David Barr: Your right! The section is called "Advice". Are you implying that realtors are the only ones capable of providing advice? Maybe you would be better suited to selling used cars. Food for thought.

Profile picture for Jacob Gulledge
To David Barr: You are really sounding like a used car salesman the way you are trying to sell something that isnt needed. You need to face the fact that people arent as dumb as you think. A realtor isnt always needed. plain and simple.

Jacob, this section is called "Advice", and as such is populated by an overwhelming number of Realtors, giving their professionally obtained, licensed advice.  

90% of homeowners who try to sell their homes themselves end up using an agent.  It is no longer as simple as sticking a sign in a yard and putting an ad in the paper or on a website.  States regulate and license real estate professionals for good reason, especially in today's market.

I'm sure you think Realtors aren't worth paying, and that's your opinion.  I just gave you mine.

@Jacob:  

You are very right, some besides agents contribute to advise.   Mr Barr has a very strange professional demeanor.

Your photos:  the first thing I noticed was "copyright 2010" in the upper left corner.  As two years or maybe even three years have passed, the first thing I wonder is what has happened since then.  My imagination tend to drift towards the negative as people like to show photos of upgrades and updates.     The house is a modest, small house.   What is the true condition?   (If priced right, anything will sell).  

The photos could use some brightening.   Turn on all the lights, use a flash, open the blinds.   A light house sells better than a dark house, it gets pretty gloomy in Oregon in the middle of the winter.    

The house is clean and empty in the photos.   It doesn't hurt to add a table in the eating area with a vase of bright flowers, a towel or two in the bathroom, toilet paper on the holder.   Spiffy up the yard a bit, make it a happy,  friendly house to walk up to rather than something that makes you shudder about mold.  (Winter pansies work well in Springfield in a pot).

Then advertise broadly.

Oh, yes, one fellow wrote an excellent blog on what it takes to do a FSBO.  Here's a link.  It is not commercial.

good luck.  Stop back and tell us how it went.

Profile picture for Jacob Gulledge

This message is to David Barr: Who even said my question was directed toward realtors. There are more than just realtors posting replies here. And how did I answer my own question? I think you are confusing my question with someone elses.

I am a Realtor, who practices in NH, and I can tell you that if you believe you can save yourself a few dollars by selling by owner, do it!  If you are going to undertake this task, you must at least, have a notion of what to do every step of the way.  You must be available to show the property when the buyers want to see it, you either have to have a very flexible work schedule or work from your own home to be able to do it.  You must understand the dynamics of marketing and photograph and place advertisements in a variety of websites, etc   But indeed you can do it, and some sellers who have sold and bought a few homes before do it quite successfully.  The best of luck!

I think it's funny you are asking Realtors about selling your home on your own.  You answered your own question.