Profile picture for businessladonna86

Looking For Advice on Home Repair

I have a few questions. I am looking at a house that I can buy. It is through a property management company and is sold as is. There is s pot on the roof that leaks but other than that I have not seen any other major issues. I am looking into trying to find assistance in the roof repair. it is a flat roof and needs replaced but I am on a tight budget. This house is my familys step up, this will go so far into getting our lives back on track. I do not believe I have the credit required to get a loan yet but I am building it. If anyone has any advice on either how to get help with repairs without having to take out a considerable loan or if there are any contractors in my area who are reasonable and willing to work with someone on repair I would greatly appreciate the information. Also how do you do a title search on a house to ensure there are no judgements against it? Being as it is sold as is, i dont want any suprises
  • May 12 2014 - Daytona Beach
  • 0

The roof is very important and fixing it can be costly, an average replacement can run from 5K-15K depending on the house and amount of rotten wood. You can look on Craigslist for deals on people who do repairs however make sure they are licensed and insured so you don't end up spending your hard earned money on a unsafe repair.

As for title issues the title company will handle that for you prior to closing. Working with a local Realtor in the Daytona Beach or Ormond Beach market is your best bet.

If you use an escrow company to transfer title, they will make sure that there are no liens before you buy. Flat roofs are not expensive to replace in most cases, but most roofing contractor will require payment immediately and will not carry a bill for you.

If the house is being sold as is, make sure to have a good inspection and have several roofers give you estimates to replace the roof and estimate any remaining lifespan. There is a reason that people say no roof no house so better to know about needed repairs upfront. Do you have an agent helping you are or your going it alone?

Look into the FHA 203K program or the Homestyle program. All repairs/costs would be tied into the mortgage. My company specializes in these.

Also, you can check with your local clerks office to see about the liens on the property. It is public record.

Good luck and best wishes!
-Scott