Profile picture for sleuthfox

Looking for a Dedicated Buyers Agent in South Orange County, CA

I have been looking for a home unsuccessfully in South Orange County for the last year. I was previously using Redfin and I became very displeased with their service, which seems to have many disconnects or hiccups to the home buying process. To compound this I have found the market ripe with fraudulent and manipulated deals. The short-sales are a bait and switch by the legal definition, but seem to go unnoticed by the regulatory officials. Most of the REO's have their transactions completed prior to listing on the MLS, or the listing agent keeps the listing without showing for the first week. Finally, there are the corporations who have saturated the resell market flipping houses as cheap as they can and using less than scrupulous termite inspections who won't be as complete as another would. Are you a dedicated buyers agent who is aware of this and can help because I am  seeking a dedicated buyers representative to assist me in my home search.
  • February 27 2012 - Cypress
  • 0

There is a lot of confusing information out there for the Buyer. That is why it is very important to work with a Buyers Agent. We are there to research the myriad of information and give you direction that is best for you so you can make your most informed decision on a property. As a Buyer, you too must be dedicated to the hard work a good agent is doing for you. A listing agent is looking out for the Sellers best interest not yours. A Buyers Agent is looking out for their Buyers best interest not the Sellers. As a Buyer you need separate representation, especially in today's market. But if a Buyer is using lots of different Buyers Agents instead of being dedicated to one, you will not develop a trust relationship with any of them. The dedication must go both ways. Good agents work very hard and will find out every detail necessary for their loyal clients.

I am not one to jump on "the band wagon" but I do agree with Bob. Some designations are for the niche type real estate business and without the classroom time education an agent may not get enough "on the job" training to be able to perform efficiently. I am not against getting designations (I have a few myself) and maybe someday, when I have some extra time, I may go and get an ABR credential so that I can hang a new certificate of award for completing another designation course on my office wall. In the meantime I know my almost 10 years of "on the job" buyer's agent experience is enough.

I say to all my potential clients that they need to get on the phone and interview as many buyer's agents they need to until they find the right professional that they feel has the experience, communication skills and the personality they can trust and work with for several months or more. Buying a new home can be an emotional roller coaster and you must have faith in your agent that they can get the job done.

My point here is that an agent can have the credentials but lack the experience, personality or communications skills necessary to get the job done. The only way you can know you have the "right" professional working for you is to pick up the phone and start interviewing. Every buyer is different just like every agent is different. I hope you find your "right" agent soon! :-)

Mike Knutson
[contact information removed by Zillow moderator]

Profile picture for BobPhillipsRE
That's pretty funny.  I just - for giggles - did a search of the ABR link provided by Michael, and at least on the 1st page of the results, the majority of the agents I recognized - mostly old-timers like myself - would be considered more as listing agents, than strictly a "buyer's" agent.

It would appear to me, that the ABR "designation" is just another merit badge to be earned by any agents willing to pay for the training.

After 35+ years of real estate, representing more buyers than sellers, I would suggest that I have already learned - the old fashioned way - and know most of what is taught to "earn" the ABR badge.

Follow the link and do a search

ABR

Profile picture for sleuthfox
Thank you to the agents responding, however, I am specifically looking for a "Dedicated Buyers Representative" with an ABR designation. Thanks.

Profile picture for BobPhillipsRE
Hi SleuthFox,  

I assume that you're not talking about Cypress, when you mention searching in South O.C..  I've been specializing in South Orange County for over 35 years, and I have seen and heard of most of the scams or schemes.

If you ARE searching in South County, I can, and would be pleased, to try to help you, in your search.

Check out my profile, to see if we might be a fit.

Contact me and I will be happy to help.

Mike