Looking for a good architecture and contractor for house extension in San Francisco

I am looking to extend my house to 2 stories, however, I don't know what is the cost like to build one in the city.  I would like to call around for price quotation.  Can anyone help with letting me know a good, reputable, but an avg price architecture in the Noe Valley or in the bay area, please let me know.  Thanks.

• April 12 2013 - Noe Valley
  • 0

Zillow tends to removes contact info of recommendations on this forum. Email me directly and I'll provide you with architect and contractors that my clients have worked with and come highly recommended. 

Profile picture for JoshBarnettREIB
Check the BBB too and the chamber of commerce.

I want to throw a thought out at you when you begin your search (I am in Southern California, and cannot help, but all this still applies)...

Just like congress, the court system and the executive branch, construction projects have their checks and balance systems.... simply put, hiring a contractor to do your design work is a mistake. You need an architect/designer to start with to discuss the options thinking independently of a contractor, who will possibly be thinking of the quickest, cheapest solution to get paid. Sorry, but I am speaking of human nature here. The other side is true as well - an architect who is a 'master builder" could perhaps have his head in the clouds and want to make a master work out of your project - you need both parties, my opinion. Think freely at first, to look all the way around the problem with a designer, then get a contractor involved before finalizing the solution... look over costs, make adjustments that meet all of your needs including design issues - if you are thinking of selling the completed work, get a real estate professionals opinion on what you're doing and how it will affect value for your particular neighborhood - THEN pick a direction and proceed. You may find, in the end, that for some folks - sell, and then rebuy exactly what you want is the best option, for others, the remodel is the perfect solution!