Profile picture for guragu

Losing a separate formal dining room to gain a larger kitchen, iswill it impact resale?

I have a home in older, traditional neighborhood built in the 1930s (Land Park, for those of you familiar with Sacramento).  I'm seeking opinions before embarking on the remodeling process. 

The kitchen currently is 12x12.  Removing a wall and combining it with the nearby formal dining room would result in a 12x27 eat-in kitchen.  I'm thinking of setting up the (rarely used) formal living room (15x20) into a combination formal dining room/living room combo.  There is a separate 23x27 family room in the back. 

Will this negatively impact the resale value of the home?  How much is a separated dining room valued vs. a smaller kitchen?  I understand the current trend in new homes is have a large kitchen / great room and even eliminate the formal spaces.  The neighborhood is a mix of singles, retired people and families. 

October 25 2012 - US

I would say that losing a seperate formal dining room to gain a larger kitchen would add value. Two reasons... Majority of buyers are drawn to an open layout form and everyone loves a large fabulous kitchen!

If the rest of your house is stil in it original layout, I would recommend finding a way to keep your formal dining room.  When Buyers are purchasing a 1930's home, most like to know that it is the original configuration. 

We have a 1930's Spanish that was extensively rehabbed, but the kitchen was refinished keeping the integrity of the home first and foremost.  If you can find a way to keep the layout original,  I think you should.

guragu,

Interesting question.  You know, you can post this in your neighborhood by going there first and then posting.  Most of us follow our own neighborhoods and I see 2 neighborhood experts there.
I also looked at the local info tab for Land Park and the demographics; interestingly not many children. Families with children tend to like large kitchens that include a common area to include everyone.
The other group that likes large kitchens and circulation areas are entertainers. They're not as big on formal dining rooms any more.
I'd vote for the configuration that you'd described and you can confirm that by connecting with one of your local Realtors and having them stop by to look at it.
Here is a link to Remodeling Magazine's Cost vs. Value Report just go to Sacramento to see what these alterations might add to your value.

It really depends on what the buyers are looking for. However, in my opinion I've looked at a ton of homes and the trend is an open bigger kitchen so I would go for it because it will only increase the value by adding new fixtures. Good Luck!