Profile picture for wilcoxr

Mark as Best Source Do I need to use Zillow's API to use the neighborhood boundaries?

Can I use the shapefiles they provide here (http://www.zillow.com/howto/api/neighborhood-boundaries.htm) without the API? 
  • February 01 2012 - US

Profile picture for mattbowers
You can use those without the API as long as you're giving attribution on each page where the data is used. That should be in the form of a Zillow logo linked to http://www.zillow.com/ and having alt text of "Real Estate on Zillow"    

Profile picture for wilcoxr
Thank you. What's the best way to implement this with Google Maps? Is there any documentation I can hand over to my developer?

The format is Arcnet software compatible.  If your developer is familiar with the leading GIS software programs and formats, he should have no difficulty in generating the boundaries.

Profile picture for wilcoxr
Can I pay you to generate the boundaries and feed them to my developer?

Not me; I'm an AutoCad user, and the shape files are not compatible with that software.  I doubt Zillow programmers would do it either, as they only have 5, and they have a huge backlog of things they are supposed to be correcting on this site.

There was a "sample" of a website listed in this discussion category though that used the API's and Zillow neighborhood boundary file though, so you might see if you can get someone on that site to help your development.

Or, you might try contacting Drew Meyers to build your website or recommend someone.  (Click his name to get to his profile, and then use the "contact me" button on his profile to contact him).

Profile picture for DrewMeyers
Thanks for the nod Asian Orange

Rob sent me an email and I just responded. Totally depends on what he is looking for specifically as to whether or not I can help him..

Profile picture for Elixir
You can get neighborhood maps using Urban Mapping API and Google Maps.  Urban Mapping may charge you for commercial use of their API.
Here is a sample 

"Totally depends on what he is looking for specifically as to whether or not I can help him.." -

Yes, that was pretty obvious as no details were given in this thread except that he wants Google maps with Zillow neighborhood boundaries, which tells us nothing about what the site is for or what it is supposed to do.

Since Zillow used to use the Google maps bases, I'm fairly certain the shape boundaries can still be marked on a Google map base.

I was assuming there would be some kind of private conversation to discuss details and what it would cost, and how long it would take, and what other terms and arrangements would be required.