Profile picture for mdestef

Master Bathroom

I just had my bathroom remodeled.  I made the room bigger by 2' by 8'.  Here is a picture get the idea of what was done.  Because the shower is installed on a half wall, I had my guy run the plumbing to through the half wall so you dont have to run out the shower. 

The room was gutted to studs.  He had to do the following work:

framing
electrical
Plumbing
tile(walls/floors)
Floorpan for shower

The house is on a slab.

Can someone give me an idea how much this should cost?  The total he wants is $4500 in just labor and I buy all the supplies. All opinions would help. 

November 10 2009 - Strongsville

Profile picture for bamkmartin
I need to see better pictures.

Profile picture for DanaEv
I'm a little confused.  Can you clarify?  It sounds like it was work already done by the first part of your post, and then the end of the post makes it sound like he hasn't done it yet, and wants $4,500 in labor and you buy the supplies.  If it has already been remodeled, is the question that you think the $4,500 in labor is too much?

We need to see a picture of the entire bathroom.  Does it have double vanities?  What type of wood and finishes does the room have, etc. etc.

Excuse me if I sound stupid, it just sounds like you already had it done and then you say you have to buy supplies and they'll do the labor for a fixed price. (by the way, labor is usually at least as expensive as the materials being put into the room, so if you're spending $10,000 or so on materials, the labor doesn't seem high, especially if you have tile running floor to ceiling and the labor includes moving plumbing, electrical, stripping the room to the studs and all the other labor intensive expenses that go with this work.

Profile picture for mdestef

Yes the bathroom was already finished but I wanted to find out if I overpaid. 

I will get some better pictures tonight and post them. 

Single bowl Vanity, Granite top, the silent close door on vanity.
All wood is painted but upgraded to longer base and trim- 5" and about 3" trim respectively.  

The masterbath is 10' x 10'. 

The shower is only 2' wide ?

Profile picture for mdestef
The shower is narrow- It is 28"

So he did :
Framing
Built / Sloped the shower pan
Waterproofed the shower pan
Moved the plumbing for the shower
Rough and finish electrical
Sheetrock - Tape - Texture
Paint
Installed the vanity cabinet
Installed the countertop
Installed all the tile work
Set all the plumbing fixtures
Installed the baseboard and door casings

I think his price is more than fair.

Profile picture for mdestef

Yes, he did all the work.  I just want to make sure as this is my first house. Here is the before picture 

Thanks you, I appreciate the input. 

Profile picture for mdestef

Profile picture for FlooredAgain
Get  two more bids then compare. If one is way low, go with one of the other two.

That price for labor (and you pay for materials) sounds very good to me.

But, I am curious.  Did he do all this work without a contract?  This is the kind of question that should come up before the work begins.  To protect yourself, your property, and frankly the person doing the work; you should never allow anyone to make major changes without contracting exactly what will be done, what it will cost (labor and materials), and the payment schedule.  AND before any work begins you need to know whether there are any building code/legal requirements associated with the work.

For starters, looking at the first pricture that you posted, the design layout looks a little unprofessional.  The shower looks way to narrow, and the toilet seem to be too close to the wall.

These type of things make me question the ability of the person you hired to do the work, and did he pull permits to complete this work. If permits where not pulled, than inspections where not completed on the work buried in the wall.

My biggest concern would be the tile shower base, and was this built correctly, many steps need to be taken to insure that this does not leak into lower levels, or cause damage in the bathroom itself.

Was this a legitament company doing the work, and can he back his work with a warrenty. Our standard warrenty is 10 years on structual, and 2 years on Mechanical.

Finally, if your happy with the work, and it was completed correctly, than I agree with others, you paid a fair price. But in the future, when doing work on your home, you should get two or more bids, and have it in a contract how much the final project will cost. It is also a good idea to have in writing how change orders are handeled.

It seems to me, the bathroom looks new and nice, 4500 to redo a bathroom like the one in the picture, with the electrical, plumbing, tile work, sheetrock, painting, removal of debris from the jobsite, overhead cost and so forth, sounds like a joke to me, unless, you live in Haiti.  It seems the quality of work is good, the toilet seems too close to the shower wall, but, I can't  see the floor plan. If I was you, I would give this guy a bonus!!

Master Bathroom
Profile picture for Javier Chacone
Latest reply by Javier Chacone

1. Cedar Creek Dr, Strongsville, OH Home For Sale
    Cedar Creek Dr, Strongsville, OH 44136

2. 14271 Cartwright Pkwy, Strongsville, OH Home For Sale
    14271 Cartwright Pkwy, Strongsville, OH 44136

3. 20729 Pineview Cir, Strongsville, OH Home For Sale
    20729 Pineview Cir, Strongsville, OH 44149