Master Bedroom closet is in the hall/sitting area!

I have a large master bedroom upstairs we just finished and the master bedroom closet is in the sitting area/hall separate from the bedroom. Can my room be considered a bedroom if the closet is not located in the room? My entire upstairs is like a loft and consists of the master bedroom/sitting area/masterbath. there is a door separating the bedroom from everything on the second floor.
  • October 31 2012 - Bumpass
  • 0

Generally you will find that codes vary from town to town. Just because your room doesn't have a closet doesn't mean it won't be labelled as a bedroom. It does mean that a future buyer will think it odd why that bedroom doesn't have a closet.
  Most log cabins don't have closets nor do many antiques but they are still bedrooms. I have seen walk through rooms be labelled as bedrooms by the town.  I have seen a 2 bedroom loft be called a one because the seperating wall didn't go all the way to the ceiling. A common practise for antique cottages back in the day.
  When it comes down to it "Bedrooms are in the eye of the Beholder' Sorry couldn't resist.  

It's a totally case by case thing, generally speaking.  And the answer is generally no!   But, that doesn't mean you can't fight for it.