Back to Results
We are buying a house now. The house experienced a water damage in 2007 (the water pipe on second floor was broken). During inspection, we found in craw space there is a mold area about 36sf (mold on the beam and woodboard. our inspector said it's mildew, not mold)
Our concern is: How serious is the mold? Is it possible mold hiden in drywall? is it fixable? if yes, How and how much?
We are green in homedevelping and thank you in advance.
Please enter a valid email address.
Stating a discriminatory preference in an advertisement for housing is illegal. If you think this content is discriminatory or otherwise inappropriate and feel it should be removed from Zillow, please let us know by completing the information above.
We will review this content. Thanks for helping make the site more useful to everyone. To learn more, read Zillow's Good Neighbor Policy.
Mold/Mildew is always serious. Always. Not only because it can and will cause spread and cause more damage if left alone, but also because it can cause major health issues with continued and constant exposure. Read up on mold and spores and lungs. Its enough to make you shutter.
I would consider calling a mold/mildew specialist to evaluate the situation. They will look at the current damage and create an action plan for getting rid of it. Usually, depending on the situation, complete replacement of item/s, heavy duty drying, fan installation and/or treatments will rectify the situation. Don't try to diagnose it yourself. Don't try to fix it yourself (or let the current home owner fix it themselves, either). They should also look to see where else the mold/mildew could be as a result from the pipe leak and the current mold situation. Crawl space is the perfect place for it, it won't go away by itself.
Also, mildew is just a type of mold. And, when and if you have to replace anything, tell the contractor you wish to use the "greenest" materials possible and appropriate for the job. Any GC worth his license will be in the know these days.
mold/mildew will not spread without water. mold spores are ubiquiteuos, they are right there on the keyboard you are typing on, spill water on it continiously, wait, and presto! mold.
some molds are dangerous to some people, you should consider having it examined by an expert in the field.
Thank you very much. We don't want to take the risk and we backed out this morning.
Bearmiss: did you know that the mushrooms on your pizza are mold?
My humble opinion is that Steinberg designs has over stated the case against mold.
But, you've already made your decision so I won't go into a PhD thesis on the probability that is was only a tiny problem suggesting that some dampness mitigation was required.
I feel that if someone is buying a home, a mold/mildew issue is a MAJOR concern. Of course you have to have a specialist come out to look at it- no one can deduce the situation without seeing it. Yes, there are many types of mold. Some are good for you- like certain, particular types of mushrooms. Most of them, however, are not. And, there are solutions and fixes to mold problems. That's why a pro is needed to access the situation.
If its was me buying this house, and the inspector said there was mold- I would hire a pro before I went forward on buying the house. To brush it off because it might not be a bad mold would be very poor judgement.
Mold is awesome. I love when people get all freaked out about it. Most Molds are not harmfull, and we breathe them daily. Homebuyers shouldn't fear buying a home because of this. There are great Mold companies that can eliminate and warranty the repairs. Alot of the time for less than $2,000. But go ahead and walk-away from the property someone else will get a great deal on it, and get the mold fixed for cheap. You can even get the mold tested for around $50 to see if it's harmful first, before you spend the money. Common Sense is very helpful people...
While mold is indeed ubiquitous in the environment, what grows in houses tends to be well beyond "normal" limits, and can very definitely be extremely hazardous to health, particularly if it is one of a number of varieties that are considered toxic. What makes them hazardous is not only the types involved, but the concentrations, and usual lack of ventilation around where they are growing. Even with the "normal", nontoxic types, many people are sensitive to molds, particularly in large amounts, and can become quite ill from it.
By the time you are able to see it on the walls, you can bet there's a great deal more behind the scenes (yes, hidden behind and in the drywall, as well as possibly permeating the studs and floor joists), and if you can smell it but can't see it, you're likely in for a major job to try to locate it and remediate it.
The big problem is that once you find a mold problem, you not only have to get rid of that but you've also got to make sure that the reason it got there in the first place is eliminated. If there's a hidden leak somewhere - like the roof - that could be a major job to fix. If you can stop the cause, chances are good you can stop the mold.
I'm afraid that it's impossible to answer the question of how much it will cost to fix any given mold problem without a complete evaluation of the extent of the problem.
This is a well-known hazard, and I had the misfortune to have to learn more about it than I ever wanted to know because of finding it in my own home a few years ago. Proper environmental testing will actually cost a great deal more than $50, and I absolutely recommend hiring an environmental hygienist or engineer to do it if you like the house and want to still consider it.
Sounds like this was a repair that wouldnt exceed $500.00 for a contractor to handle. Cut out and replace the damaged drywall, kill the mold with bleach and repaint. It is a common problem in any house to have an upstairs plumbing fixture leak causing moisture between floors. This sounds very minor indeed.
Please enter text in the "Enter the text to display" field.
Please enter text in the "Enter URL" field.
Please enter a valid URL.
Please insert a video embed only
Zillow Advice depends on each member to keep it a safe, fun, and positive place. If you see abuse, flag it. More on our Good Neighbor Policy.