Profile picture for bhamm019

Mortage on a paid off home?

I have a credit score in the 600 range. We paid our house off about 4 years ago. I would like to get a loan to update the home. I cannot find a lender that will even attempt to help. The value of the home is in 125,000 range I only need about 50,000 to make improvments. Does anyone know of a lender that could help?

July 11 - US

You should be able to get an FHA loan to accomplish your goals.  The score used is the middle score of the 3 credit reports pulled.  I have programs that can go down to 580 on FHA.  However, it is by far better if your score is at least 600. How is the rest of your credit?  Any bankruptcy in last 2 years or forclosures in the last 3?  Do you have many collections?  In the end, it is not just your score it is also about the other items I just mentioned.  But again, a 600 score is possible to get through on a FHA loan.  Find a good lender on Zillow by putting in the area you live in, then hold your mouse over the agents tab, you will see a drop down menu that says mortgage lenders.  contact some of those lenders who have a lot of 5 star reviews and tell them about your situation.  Assuming your debt ratio is in line and depending on your actual credit report, you should be able to get this done. good luck.

July 11
Why are your scores so marginal? Because you pay everything off, early, maybe? Do you have any open credit accounts? They are what makes the scoring system work.

July 11