Mortgage Insurance Company Want's Copy of Divorce Decree for Child Support

Mortgage Insurance company wants a copy of my divorce decree from 2002 for proof of child support payment (even though you can look through my bank statements and see I've paid the same amount every month for the past 3 years after my older son dropped off, and I'm current an my ex would write a statement confirming both). Personally I feel this is an invasion, there's information in the decree that quite frankly is none of their damn business. So here's my question. Is it acceptable to send them the pages up to the child support order and that's all the get? This is the last item we need prior to generating docs. Thanks in advance!
  • August 09 2013 - US
  • 0

Forgot to mention an option, my ex would be willing to sign a document confirming my monthly obligation to her and the fact that I am current.

Update, just thought of something else. I can redact all information in the decree EXCEPT information related to child support order. That should work, right?

Generally you will need to supply the full document as it used to verify continuance of the obligation and confirm there aren't other agreements included that affect your application.

I agree with Justin, they'll need the entire document.

Submitted redacted version of entire decree. Non-redacted areas speak directly to the two children, birth dates (one is over 18 and I no longer pay support for, birth date supports this), the amount prior to oldest child turning 18 and obligation for youngest child until she turns 18. Information matches exactly what I put on my application.

What's interesting is if I would have been dishonest on my application, this wouldn't even be an issue and we'd be preparing documents.

What's so odd is underwriting didn't care about this.

I also submitted 18 months of bank transactions showing the amount being transferred every month.

If this doesn't work then I'm SOL.

Surprised lender didn't require a copy since child support payment is included a as debt.  Most debts appear on a credit report for lender to verify amount, payment, terms, etc, but child support payments can only be verified by copy of actual divorce decree.The only area of the divorce decree that is "their business" is financial obligations i.e actual child support amount and length of time, and any other mortgage or debt the parties (you in this case) are obligated to pay. I would suspect that the decree is part of public records in county where filed.

@wayne so Wayne, are you saying that as long as the redacted version clearly covers the support order and length of time the redacted version may fly?

Just received word back that it will not fly. Decision time. They say market may dip again right? Maybe I save an additional 10%.

That is answer I expected.  Not sure what you mean "save an additional 10%".  If you are referring to floating a rate, and getting better rate if market improves I will remind you of what happened about 60 days ago.......... rates went up 1% in about a week, and have receded only about .25% since then.  Best advice IMHO is if you know for sure rates are going down - float. Otherwise locking has no risk.

@wayne I meant save another 10% for a total of 20% down payment to avoid PMI completely.

Another question, my decree lists alimony that ended when my ex got married. Will I need something proving that she got married and I no longer pay alimony? I highly doubt she'll send me a copy of her marriage license or her most recent divorce decree proving she was married.

Was there any formal document when she remarried that addressed your alimony being eliminated? Otherwise a copy of her marriage license on file at county where married could be verification needed. I still will be surprised if lender doesn't require copy of divorce decree, so be careful thinking eliminating MI company will solve issue. Putting down an additional 10% regardless may make sense, if those funds are excess and not part of reserves every home buyer should have.

Profile picture for cassandraevers
I see how you may view it as an intrusion-but the MI company is requesting it. Your other option might be to switch to an FHA loan if you really get sick at the thought of sending in your divorce decree. Otherwise save so you have 20% down and hope rates are still great and that maybe next time the underwriter again won't request the divorce decree (my underwriter requests many divorce decrees just to cover all her bases-)

No official document addressing alimony when she got married, just stopped paying per decree. Contacted ex and she went ballistic that I would ask for it. So I was scrambling and thought what the hell, I'll email her ex and see if he'll help me out. Next day he sent me a copy of their divorce decree. Note to those in similar situations - Start on this part of your process sooner rather than later. Not in a million years with all the information I provided did I think this would be an issue.

So I sent in non-redacted copy of divorce decree and her marriage license. I hope this gives them what they need. Decree clearly addresses child support and alimony. License proves she got married and thus per the decree support ended upon marriage.

What curve ball can they throw at me now?