Mortgage Underwriting For the Recently Self employed

Back in June we submitted , what we thought  was a pre- qualification for a mortgage through DR Horton the mortgage guy John Russell lied to me and my husband advising us that everything was good to go and that we could pick out our home and that were could well over than the house we wanted but we stayed within our budget. We put up our earnest money picked out what interior and exterior designs. Two weeks ago we get a phone call advising that John Russell no longer works for the company and they can not locate our information so we had to gather all our paperwork again. However this time we are advised that we should have never been told we had to green light.  Was told that due to husband being a truck driver could not use income because he is not a salaried employee.. I dont understand how someone with great credit..history of bank statements and income tax returns that show we make the money to afford the home or more can be turned down.  We can't buy a home but can buy as many cars and rack up as many credit cards as we like. I just don't understand is there anything else that can be done? I feel that  we have been a victim and no one is trying to take accountability for the inaccurate information that we were provided.  With his info we moved out of our apartment to stay with my parents to save money. We gave everything that they have asked for and still at a road block. This is just a nightmare.
  • October 11 2012 - Birmingham

Have you tried different lenders?   Many lenders will consider a self-employed customer if they have income documented on their tax returns for at least a couple of years.     How about your income, are you also self employed with income on the tax return for a couple of years or more?