Profile picture for Fulf

Mortgage company error - to settle or not to settle?

I have a unique property that is 11.6 acres divided into 4 parcels of 0.4, 0.4, 0.8 and 10 acres. I bought it in 2006. At the time I bought it, the mortgage company had me survey off the 0.8 acres so that they could make the loan for the 10 acres. Now I have found out that they made a mistake in recording the deed and have mortgaged the 0.8 acres, which means that the 10 acres is free and clear. I am trying to refinance but the new mortgage company wants the whole property resurveyed. Because of this I have already missed one chance at a better interest rate (under 3%  APR on a 15 year fixed), and now if this current deal goes through it is going to cost me thousands of dollars out of pocket to get it resurveyed.  I am current on my loan and have never had a late or missed payment. What are my options? Try to settle with the current mortgage company? If so, how? For how much?
  • August 26 2013 - US
  • 0

Did you not get title insurance when you bought it??? They should fix that for you.

Profile picture for larryeul
Did you have the property surveyed when purchased in? (Meaning all 10+ acres). If yes, maybe the original survey company will certify old survey, or whatever term they may use in your area, at a lower fee.
Best to you.