Profile picture for charles_boyd

Moving out of California

I want to move out of California (Newbury Park) to another state/city where my family can have a higher quality of life on a single income. This is a major project as I am in an upside down mortgage ($75k +). I am not sure what is the best approach for finding out what cities have the industry, homes and schools that would work for us. I have found some information on the internet but any pointers would be great. 

October 10 2010 - Thousand Oaks

Hi there, I used to live in California, for 15 years, in LA also. its a great place. You will probably miss a lot of the outdoor lifestyle you  currently enjoy.
  I like your area. Thousand Oaks, Newbury Park.

Here in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill and Cary area, you will still be able to  an active outdoor lifestyle, good nightlife and restaurants...not the kind you get there , but still good, you will also like the 'lighter freeway commute' and if you go to Wake County Schools, you will find a great description of schools in Raleigh, Cary area. Same with Durham and Chapel Hill, just google Durham County Schools. You might consider getting an educational consultant to help you with this area and the choices. We are known for having some great schools!
Using a Realtor is a smart way to go as far as getting a better feel for the area. I would love to help you, having lived in both places, and moved a lot with kids, I can understand a lot of your needs. Let me know Charles, if I can answer any questions for you.

Move North Charles!  Check our my home town, visit me on the web, www.janebeyer.com for local info. Low unemployment, great schools, great weather, even economy and real estate market, one of the lowest foreclosure.

Charles - Hello!

While you are unfortunately not alone in your current housing situation, it doesn't lessen the emotional and financial toll it takes on you and your family.  There are very few areas in the country that have not been effected by the downtown in the economy, but that can actually play to your advantage as a buyer; especially when relocating into a more affordable market.

Changing homes, let alone moving states can be stressful and time consuming.  It's my job to make your relocation as efficient and seamless as possible!  The Raleigh Region of North Carolina where I specialize, while it is a little further from the beach (~2 hours), has many of the upsides you are searching for.  Our website has a great relocation section [link removed by moderator] where you can access information about the different areas, schools, and has great and simple home search tools. 

If you have any other questions, I would love to speak with you further about why this may be the right move for you and your family.  

I truly appreciate you contacting me, and hope that you will continue to do let me be your Raleigh Real Estate expert! 

Thanks so much,

Ashley
Wilson Realty Group
[contact info removed by moderator]

Probably a short sale would be best, if you are unable or do not want to pay the deficit.

Regarding relocation, you may still find what you are searching for in our beautiful state. If not, most states have website that have links to all pertinent information like we do. http://www.ca.gov/Work/index.html

Best wishes, Rudi

Charles, 

Sorry to hear you about your desire to leave our beautiful California, but I understand your issues. Quality of life is so important. Having lived and worked in Ventura County and the surrounding area for almost all my life, I understand that now is one of the toughest times for people to not have to work 80 hours a week just to survive. You live in a great community in Dos Vientos so I am sure you will have no problem selling your home, but your shortfall will need someone with good Short Sale experience. My training as a SFR will help in that regard. As it relates to finding the right place, I would certainly focus on jobs. The Bureau of Labor has some good stats on where jobs seem to be growing at www.bls.gov, but just as all real estate is local, so are the jobs. If I can be of any help on your real estate here in Newbury Park or on talking about the potential move, don't hesitate to contact me at any time.  

John Wise
2ci Direct Real Estate Services
CA DRE #01095714
[contact info removed by moderator]

Yup chamber of commerce, and google "cities with a growing job market".

Hi Charles,
I did the same thing awhile back. I too left Newbury Park / Thousand Oaks.  I was working with investors showing houses in the I.E. and found that while it was cheaper for housing the people were so friendly.  Picture having a newer home built in 2006 around 3000 sq feet for around 200,000 - 300,000.  I was a bit amazed.  I chatted with my sweetheart, took her out to see the homes and have lunch in the area and needless to say,... We are here.  Our relationship is better now than it has ever been. The stress level has gone done quite a bit. The bills are paid. The house isn't upside down.  I work locally so there is no traffic to speak of.  Lets just say I don't miss the 101 freeway at all.  Fires get put out rather quickly here compared to LA or VEN. Get this, here people actually pull over when a siren is going on an emergency vehicle.  It is night and day difference.  Kids actually play out side at parks here.  I am sure you would find some things similar, yet not as tightly wound as there.  Did you know you can see for 30 - 40 miles on almost any given day? At lease east of the 215 that is.

Harold Sharpe - Broker
So Cal Homes Realty
California Department of Real Estate License # 01312992

Hi Charlie,

I have found that the Chamber of Commerce can be very helpful.  Also, for school ratings, I recommend www.schoolmatters.com . My husband and I along with our 2 children moved from So. Cal. to Prescott, AZ in 2005 and found these tools to be very helpful.
Dena Plane
Designated Broker

Start studying your skill set vs jobs and communities where those jobs may be found.   Network, scan the internet, travel, etc etc. 

Recognize that pay in lower cost of living communities does not tend to be equivalent of pay in your current community.  We looked at communities where cost of living was about 60% of a CA community, the paycheck offered was 50%.

Save up the $75k so you can pay off the difference when you sell.