Moving to Baltimore because of a job transfer?

What criteria do you use for deciding on living in the Baltimore city limits or out in Baltimore County?
  • November 22 2011 - Baltimore
  • 0

Profile picture for The Wiley Group
Hi Magan,  the biggest consideration is where will you be working and how long do you want your commute to be.  The traffic pattern in Baltimore is
 I-95 and I 83 South (from the north) and from the south I-95 north.  All are very congested in the morning and then the reverse in the afternoon.
If you are working in Towson and live in the city than you are going against traffic and will have an easy commute.  Or if you are living in the White Marsh or Belair area and working in the city you are fighting traffic in the city and going to like the Towson area.  If you would like to give me some additional information about where you plan to work I'd be happy to give you a few suggestions on areas to live where you are not sitting in traffic for 46-90 minutes each way.
I also know of some great programs in both Baltimore county and city for closing assistance depending on your income and employer. 
Good luck,
Bob Wiley

Magan, It depends on a lot of things.  What amenities are important to you-nightlife? parks? access to public transportation? etc?  Where will you be working?  Is commute important (walkable, less than 15 minutes, less than 1 hour?  What type of environment do you like, urban, suburban?  Are you looking for a townhome, condo? single family? 

There are great areas in the city and depending on where you will be working grant money may be available for purchasing a home in the city.  Baltimore County has a wide variety of neighborhoods/communities and you can find just about anything you are looking for!

Where ever you decide to live, welcome to Baltimore!  I hope you will love it here as much as I do!

First would be the schools, second would be the difference in tax rate. Balt city is much higher. Third would be, where would you be commuting from? I live in Catonsville which borders the west Baltimore city limit. I can get to downtown in under 10 minutes. Taxes are lower and schools are very good. [contact information deleted by Zillow moderator.  Please refer to our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines] Aaron

I would never live in a city. Baltimore or one much smaller. That makes the decision easy.