Profile picture for buscacasa

Moving to Houston

Hello

We will be moving to Houston in June this year. Have been thinking about buying(first time). Apart from the current downturn, we are not able to decide where to live in Houston. The idea for the moment is to rent in the prospective neighborhood to get a feel and then proceed to buy if we find something suitable. A good school district and of course access to all amenities are a priority.  My spouse will be working in the Greenspoint area, our son has been accepted at a childcare center on Louetta Rd. We are getting conflicting reports about Spring. The latest recommendation has been Champions Forest.
Anybody.......... willing to offer some down to earth advice..........
Would be greatly Appreciated.
  • April 09 2009 - Houston
  • 0

I am not big on Spring myself. I feel it is mixed. Good match for some folks, very bad match for others. I think that renting is a great option. It give you time to try on a neighborhood and settle in with much more flexibility. You never really know a place until you live there for awhile. Good agents can help you explore neighborhoods, but their frame of reference is different from yours so it can be hard to describe the feeling you are looking fro in a neighborhood. You need to watch the commute in Houston. Some areas look close in on the map, but have a significant commute time due to how the traffic pattern goes on the beltline (or under it). I would give yourself time to check out the area for yourself and see how it lives for you and your family. Focus on who your neighbors will be as far as what they do, the value they have, how the community feels to you. People in Houston are very friendly especially for a big city and will tell you what they like about their neighborhood. Finding out what they don't like takes a little more nosiness. I love Houston and I hope that once you look around, you will find a great fit for your family. Don't focus on the house as much as the neighborhood and don't let anybody tell you that buying before you live there first is a good idea.

Profile picture for ninok

[removed by moderator for being self promotional]

Hello from Houston and welcome.  We have several people working for us that live in North Houston - Spring included.  Living in The Woodlands would satisy both issues (school and safety) Lots of people in Greenspoint, live the TW..  and it certainly has been the most desired of Houston's burbs if location to work is not an issue.  (vs Sugarland and Katy...  

What is your price range?  I'm actually about to list a beautiful home in Champion Forest.  It's a wonderful neighborhood with a lot of families

Profile picture for davidslavin
I have a cousin that lives in Spring and loves it.  In many areas if the Houston area you'll be able to get more house for the money than in many areas of the country.

Feel free to visit my website to do some searching on your own and if you have any questions, I'm here when you need me.