Moving with Animals

I'm moving from Florida to CT.  I sold my house in FL and will be closing on July 25.  I want to move to CT, around Danbury or New Fairfield, however, no one will accept an offer contingent upon the sale of my home.  I know you will advise for me to sell my home first, then move to CT and rent, which is a very good idea.  However, I have 3 dogs and 5 cats who are my FAMILY. I would never entertain the thought of giving them up to make my move much easier.   But, needless to say, this move is becoming almost impossible.  I've offered a deposit for each animal to every rental I applied to and the answer is always the same, NO WAY.   THIS IS THE MAIN REASON THERE ARE SO MANY ANIMALS IN SHELTERS.  Is there a website or organization that maybe lists rentals available for people with animals? I have always been a responsible guardian of animals and I thnk its just horrible that with all the places to live in this world, no body wants to rent with people that have animals. It's a darn shame. Please print this. There are a lot of people out there in this same situation. Thank you.

June 17 2012 - Danbury

Possibly what happens here is that you do a very rapid and efficient survey of the entire market in New Fairfield,  Danbury, and towns nearby.   This can be done.   You then close on home in the minimum time. Meanwhile some of the dogs are in a kennel.   I know that sounds harsh, I have two dogs so I don't love kennels...but given your situation possibly this plan reduces stress to a minimum.   I am aware of a very nice kennel.  John

Could the animals be put in a kennel, for a short time while you wait to close on your new house?

So sorry that you have created a situation that brings so much grief for a move.  I do not know if you could rent an RV and stay in it with your FAMILY until you find a home.  First things first, you will find it difficult to have a seller agree to the contingency of selling your FL home.  Although you said you have sold your home, you really have not sold it yet, you have it pending or contingent, you will close on it July 25. So your best bet is to finalize the sale of you FL home, get into your RV drive to CT and start looking for a property.  It would help if you could find a buyer agent in CT to make the transition easier.  Rentals anywhere will be nearly impossible with so many members of your FAMILY, pets are limited to 2 on most leases that allow for pets. The best of luck and God bless you for having such a big heart for your pets! 

Are you working with an agent here in Connecticut?
If your home in Florida is under contract with a scheduled closing date, then it may be possible to find a buyer willing to accept a purchase contingent on the sale of your current home.
Of course, proof of the Florida contract will have to be provided, and it should be verifiable.

There are ways to do this, but it may take some work and patience.

If you're closing in Florida on July 25, you have little more than a month to locate and close on a home here in Connecticut. That is not much time, so you need to figure this out ASAP if you wish to close on a home purchase here in Connecticut around the same time.

Finding a rental that will take 5 cats and 3 dogs will be nearly impossible. So, if you do need to rent, then you will need to make temprary accommodations for your pets. 

If you're working with an agent, they should be able to guide you to make this a success.  If you're not working with an agent, you should be.

something else you can do is put your house on the market and if you get an offer for the sale of YOUR house, don't agree to a fast closing, give yourself an extra 2-3 weeks before having to be out of your house so you can use that to go up to CT, find one and can close within the same week having animals only dislocated for the actual move.

there is still a slight risk that you own closing will be delayed, but you've created the cushion on the side of getting out of a house rather than getting into a house.  Line up a plan for animals for the inbetween time- if there is one.

I hate Kennels myself- if you can find a friend that will animal sit that is best but it may be hard to do. 

I'm sorry you are in this difficult situation.   We've  moved >1000 miles more than once with two dogs, so do sympathize.  

If no one will accept offers in CT contingent on sale of your home,  you probably have a two or three month gap between closing on your Florida home and purchasing in CT.    Do you have friends who will take care of some of the pets in their homes for a while?   A good kennel?   (A relative took care of our dogs for about four weeks in one of our moves.) 

We are also landlords and do rent to humans with dogs, but have a two pet limit.  (We also not longer rent to people with cats because we've had far more cat damage that dog damage.)     We request owners to have the dog with the Canine Good Certificate before we will rent. 

Good luck with your move.