Profile picture for KD in Texas

Multi-families in a single family home

We're at our wits end.  When we moved in, there was a single mother living next to us.  She was engaged though and needed a bigger place to live.  She moved out and a whole bunch of people moved in.  There can be up to 7 cars parked in front of the home at all times (not including anything parked in the garage).  At least 5-6 guys, 2 gals, and 3 kids.  Is this legal?  The house is probably a 3 bedroom 2 bath (different floor plan from ours).

They keep to themselves and keep their vehicles in front of their property only (they coordinate moving trucks around with the 4 vehicles parked on the driveway, 2 lined up in front of the house & 1 blocking the 4 in the driveway).

Hubby said that if this situation were happening when we first looked at the house, we wouldn't have purchased it. 

• August 04 2008 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for Valhakar

It depends on the zoning and local statutes.

It sounds to me like they are making the best of a bad situation and trying to be considerate.  The house next to us went rental last year and for 6 months the entire street was full of redneck trash and their trucks.  They would block the hydrant in front of our house and hem in other people's driveways. 

Profile picture for KD in Texas

I've definately appreciated how they try hard not to offend anyone in any way.  It bugs me though.  Hubby says their back yard is now a disaster (we need new fences-you can see through in spots) and you can see the blinds getting ripped and the quality of the house decreasing.  It could be worse as an abandoned property though.  It could be worse.

Profile picture for mckylie

KD - same situation with us as well  - two houses down.  Only, I don't think they were as respectiful as your neighbors.  We would heard music from their cars blaring as they pulled up in the middle of the night.  And boy did they trash that house.  A neighbor thought maybe it was a drop house.  They now are all moved out - thank goodness - and the house was on the market - even with it being trashed.  It's off the market right now and it seems they are finally cleaning it up!

Profile picture for duneen

Do you know who owns the house? If a rental, the landlord may not realize how many people are living there and would appreciate being informed.

Profile picture for TWB
  • TWB

My city has occupancy laws that require a minimum square footage per occupant, and there are other laws that come into play if there are children present.  While they may be trying to keep it in check there is nothing wrong with calling the city and asking if there are any laws covering this.  If yes, they will contact the owner, visit the location, etc. to get resolution.  A lot of situations like this persist because the neighbors don't contact anyone to let them know what's taking place.

I know it's annoying but nosey neighbors make for safer neighborhoods.

Profile picture for Mike_oxafloppin

usually you can call the police because parking infront of a driveway can be considered illegal.  The only way I can think you might have recourse is if you are in a HOA and the bylaws state an occupancy of immediate family or total number of people in a dwelling or total number of cars per dwelling.  Which if you have ever been on the board of a HOA you know that it's usually more hot air and empty promises  than anything else.

I can sympathize as I have had neighbors that I WISHED would just move back into the trailer park and get it over with.

Profile picture for drj9
  • drj9

Where I live it is a big problem, not with rednecks though.  IT is illegal immigrants I live in a neighborhood of small houses, the one across the street another next door. They always park infront of my house 2-3 cars blocking my view and sometimes there in my driveway. My city here in CA is overun with multi-families  cramming in gagrages sheds etc, some say there is no problem I say it is a bad one. When I called INS a while back they told me that there was nothing they could do without proof of legality (which is fair).  I called the police to get the cars towed but they said if they parked infront of my driveway just ask them to move it no one (speaks English at the properties). What is worse since we have such a problem these families are bidding on houses and moving into neighborhoods thus straining the resources, i.e. schools, libraires, hospitials. I have been bidding on house nearly everyone (which sold) was won by multi-famlies.

A two bedroom apt can have 3-4 whole FAMILIES living there. Even though it's against the law, who's really going to stop it? I call the police, the police say to call ice. Nobody is responsible it seems.

In my new house we have 3 'homes' on one lot, not to mention they've changed the flood zone illegally. We call. Nothing happens. Too bad our other neighbors, who will be flooded horribly, can't squeeze blood out of a turnip.

Imigrants  (not sure if tey were legal or not) bought the house nextdoor a few years back and they actually had so many people they errected tents in their back yard. They never kept up the house. They got foreclosed on last summer. They moved out and the house became a rental (it is a 2 family) and now it is great condition and kept up.

Not all rentals are left to fall apart. I am glad that we have great renters vs. terrible owners living next to us.

Now the only incredibly rude people are the 20 somethings next door who are so loud all the time.

Changed the flood zone illegaly? What is that exacty? Am I not thinking of the same flood Zone?

Most cities have ordience's on how many people to a home based on number of adults and children and the childrens ages. Especially if a rental.

Good luck to all

Profile picture for Blue Nile

I'm told that the state of California has very loosely defined "family"; and thus 15 adults living in one house may be one "family".  The square footage requirements for occupancy also seems to indicate many more people can be placed in one house than one expects; but it is not in the zoning code, or the building code, thus it is hard to find.  I think it is in the fire code.

For "halfway houses" or rehabilitation; the limit is 6 adults to be considered "a family"; but that falls under a different category entirely.

Still, garages or not considered occupiable space (in spite of the census bureau counting them when occupied), and many amenities (including toilets) were often added without permit and were not put in per code.  The building deparment counts kitchens to determine number of units.  As long as there is only one kitchen, it is only one unit.  But add a microwave and a wet-bar and a portable electric burner; and you effectively have another kitchen that isn't counted as one.

Profile picture for Blue Nile

or not --> *are* not

Profile picture for TWB
  • TWB

In Los Angeles the square footage per occupant is a cross between the Municipal Code and the Rent Stabilization Act.

Basically, a sleeping area must have at least 70 sf with an addtional 50 sf per additional occupant if more than two people are sleeping there.  A dwelling must have a mininmum of 400 sf with an additional 70 sf per additional occupant if more than two people are living there.

So, 400 sf = two occupants and the bed room / sleeping area must have at least 70 sf

Three occupants = 470 sf living / 120 sf sleeping

Four occupants = 520 sf living / 140 sf sleeping (two bed rooms = 70 sf each)

Five occupants = 590 sf living / 210 sf sleeping

And like that.

Fifteen occupants = 1,200 sf living / 540 sf sleeping

Chesbay... you must pull a permit to add fill dirt to your lot. They added not only fill dirt, but banked it upward. It is illegal to change the way a creek goes, especially if it affects other properties. You bought the property on a floodway, that's your dime every time it fills your house. You can't make it fill someone else's house without permission.

Profile picture for KD in Texas

Somebody must have ratted them out because they are now down to 2 vehicles.  Either that or they went back to Mexico because it is getting too expensive to live here in the US of A.

this EXACT thing is happening to us! It's so frustrating and we don't know what to do. We have wanted to sell for awhile to move into a larger, detached single family home somewhere else...but now we REALLY want to get out of here. IT's disturbing and it's a huge eye sore. They have ruined the lawn by moving the cars all over the place. I think there are up to 15 people staying there sometimes, with up to 10 cars. They recently had a king size mattress outside for over a month. I will say they are not loud or rude in any other way (except they won't make eye contact or talk with us) and they all seem to work. They don't throw parties or seem to be doing anything "bad."
It's just not what we signed up for at all. We bought a house on a quiet street with friendly neighbors. Now it's awkward, annoying and sort of a shot to the gut that we spend so much time and money on our house to keep it looking nice when a few feet away is the opposite.
of course, now that our house in on the market we have ZERO bites b/c potential buyers see that and don't want to invest in a property next to that.
What happened with your story KD in Texas?

Profile picture for Mypc
Same problem here.  The offending family almost got foreclosed on a few years ago right after we moved in.  However, instead they short sold their home to a personal acquaintance (which I'm fairly certain is illegal) and now they unfortunately still live there.  They just cram as many relatives/friends/random people they meet into their 3bd/2ba house.  They hog all of the street parking, put people up in their garage, and just make an otherwise picturesque street look like a clusterf&*k.  This particular family tops it all off by being nasty disgusting offensive a-holes. 

Profile picture for JoJoKakia
Ugh, ditto. For the past 12 or so years we've had this "house" next door that has multiple Hispanic families. Noise. Dogs. Cars everywhere. Run down property. Several moved to "get away." Dogs. Screaming kids, totally unsupervised. LOUD Mexican music! LOUD house-rattling base music when they pull up and shake our house for 20 mins at a time, then sometimes all day! Broken ugly car in their drive way for 10 years dripping oil. Old broken basketball hoops cemented into the ground. No fence around 10 foot pool and little kids running around. DOGS barking. 1 drown. 24 = 7 laundry going that stinks to high heaven and we can't go outside to enjoy our patio! Half finished "shed" the size of a mountain, view-able from my yard, and half painted. Trees not maintained. Fence THEY broke, and then tried to force us to pay boyfriend to fix! Over usage of utilities in a drought!!! Totally use the RACE card if you ask them for anything. Even though half my family is Hispanic! They think they are only Hispanics in the world. Loud screaming and talking in Spanish. Dealing drugs over the years. Every neighbor around me has called Code on them. They had 12 cars at one time. now 9. They block my driveway with a blind spot. They take parking around all houses blocking house of an elderly woman. Nuff said on the situation. I pay almost $4,000 a year in property taxes. Why should we have to deal with this in a planned community like Mission Viejo? If you look at their website, you'd think it was paradise. Smoke and mirrors. The city will do NOTHING. The entire block has called about this situation. Zip. We're moving. That is why I'm here to find a new place. My fear is we'll move and another situation like this will crop up!