Profile picture for alexalvarez213

Multi family home

Im looking to buy a multifamily home owner occupied My question is can I move out of the property in a year or how ever long to mortgage says I have to occupied the home and buy another multifamily home move in to the new one keeping my first one as an investment to avoid having to come up with 20% or more as a down payment. And repeating the process til I have a some property's as investments 

October 22 2013 - Springfield

You are supposed to stay in the home for at least 12 months, typically.

You have a really good idea. Being a landlord can be challenging though. It is up to which loan you use and the terms make sure you ask that question when deciding. When you already own a home the amount of down payment will also vary. The first step is to get pre qualified.

If you are looking in Springfield I am originally from and work there. I can help you as a buyer agent.

Hello! Sounds like a financing question! Please contact my preferred lender Phil Ganz, his contact info is on my profile page. 

New regulations on FHA are coming down starting in January.  Better speak with a lender.

I know an agent who has bought and sold homes and was red flagged in the underwriting system when he went for his third loan.

There can be many answers to this question. Do you currently own any other properties. If you do this can affect the type of loan you can get and you may have to putt down more then you think. I recommend that you talk to your mortgage broker as they are equipped to answer these types of questions. If you want contact me and I can give you more advice on a more personal level.

Profile picture for shapiroamg
If you occupy a multi family, and 12 months later (typical time frame for initial occupancy) decide to buy another multi as an owner occupant, you will have some issues. the lender will want to know your motivation for going from a multi to a multi.
Unless you are going up in terms of city town (ie: for better schools or to be closer to employment) perhaps your loan officer could sell that to an underwriter. But the typical housing ladder would have a multi owner moving to a single family. 
With lenders going over every detail these days, I don't think your plan will work if you want to buy a multi and plan to then buy another multi.

[self promotion deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

If you do not own a home at the time of closing you may qualify for a Portfolio program we have that requires less than 20% down without pmi up to 4 unit residential homes. In MA either borrower's income(s) or the census tract the home is in must be moderate at the most per ffiec. Please contact me via my profile if you would like to discuss.

Multi family home
Profile picture for Greg  Bleyl
Latest reply by Greg Bleyl
  • Posted by alexalvarez213
  • In Investing
Away from gift Shops of tradition. What would you look for in a gift shop of 2010?
Profile picture for Heidi Zizza
Latest reply by Heidi Zizza
February 03 2010 | 2 answers
  • Posted by Erik Downs
  • In Investing

1. 117 Suffolk St, Springfield, MA Home For Sale
    117 Suffolk St, Springfield, MA 01109

2. 150 Dubois St, Springfield, MA Home For Sale
    150 Dubois St, Springfield, MA 01151

3. 91 Saint James Cir, Springfield, MA Home For Sale
    91 Saint James Cir, Springfield, MA 01104