Profile picture for The Red Hare

My Agent is not particularly ethical.... read on.

Last weekend, my agent (who recently sold my house), took me out to view potential purchases.  We stopped by one of their listings - I fell in like with this house.  As we drove away, my agent said, "give me a number - any number - for that house, because they're so overpriced and have NO offers. It'll be declined but I want to shake them up!"  So, I gave my number I could afford and left the rest up to my agent.

I found out yesterday my offer was never presented!

The agent was also trying to lead me into buying a house that the current owner is currently trying to subdivide (was denied by the Town so now he's suing), and would buy back the build-able lot in the back "for $1,000" when the subdivision request is granted. I'd have to co-sign all variance requests until such time as he could start building - what the heck is that?!

I am feeling very taken advantage of on all fronts by this agent.  I don't want this person representing me as a buyer's agent and have not signed any paperwork for that.  I'd rather find a new home on my own after this experience.

Worse than anything is that I work as an admin for the same company as the agent I'm using.  STUCK STUCK STUCK.
  • November 06 2013 - Huntington
  • 0

Its disheartening to hear these kinds of stories as it reflects poorly on those of us that have years of ethical contribution and have provided quality service to out clients.

I understand your feeling of obligation as you work for this company, however, sounds to me like the only one with morale's in this scenario, is you.  This is a big investment for you and you should not feel uneasy making it.  

I urge you to cut ties and move on.  Clearly, this agent is not looking out for your best interests- you have no obligation to put money in his/her pocket at your expense.

Cut ties now diplomatically and find someone that is willing and eager to work for YOU!

Best of luck,

Dominique Nicole
Broker Associate
Metro Brokers Realty Oasis
(303) 669-8077

Profile picture for Blue Nile
You already know an offer is not an offer until it is in writing.  A "verbal" is not an "offer".  And you already know, that if you didn't sign it, it isn't "in writing".

So, why did you expect your agent to do something that you didn't request?  It was just casual conversation talk.  Which is what most Realtors seem to call BS.  Which is what most of the talk from Realtors seems to amount to.  So, you could just ask the agent to be quiet, that you are concentrating on your own evaluation methods and have no feedback for your agent of any kind at this time.  If the agent is not willing to honor your request, then you can tell the agent they are not a good match for you.

As far as showing a property that the owner intends to subdivide?  If it is listed that way, how is it unethical to "show it"?  If you are not interested, just say so.  Until you make an offer, it is just another listing.

Next time he asks...."give me a number - any number" give him a phone number of another agent.......

I would recommend informing the Company chair, the president and the chair broker. They should be informed about the actions of the sales agent. They may have infringe on their state statues, statues vary based on state-to-state and their mutual recognition. Also, this is will proceed to be a problem if not corrected within the company, damaging the company name. Aside from the agent, the agent should have been under the guidance of a broker or a broker associate. Sometime new agents aren't given a through training session and are sent out to learn and they fail in there part to continue on with self training precautions or abilities to attain classes. Best way to know your agent, as you are an admin, is to interview and find one who complements you and your wants.

Jimmy

Worse than anything is that I work as an admin for the same company as the agent I'm using.

You're screwed....

Profile picture for William Fain
Talk with the Broker, don't go on a search on your own, there are plenty of well qualified and ethical Realtor's available. Do a little research on Realtor's in your market, talk with friends who have used a Realtor recently and interview several. Find someone that you are comfortable with! Thank you for helping police the few unethical Realtor's that are out there! They are the Exception not the Rule! Good Luck,

Profile picture for Dan Peaslee
Tough one...  First, your broker must know what the agent is doing.  When it comes to light that you knew something and didn't say anything...don't let that be an option to consider.  Second, remember your on higher ground in this situation.  Maybe it feels like you're stuck but you're not.  That agent sounds like he's operating outside the lines.  According to your post he acted unethically in front of an admin of his own company.  Even if it's fantastic stupidity or casual dishonesty it's wrong and the kind of thing that can tarnish the image of our industry.  Be strong!  You can do it!

Let the broker know your thoughts. End the relationship there are other agents that are qualified and will do a good job for you.

Agree, talk with the agents broker.

I don't quite understand this, TRH. Did you write a formal offer, or just give the agent a number he could relay to the seller? And is this the house with the subdividable lot?

You need to part ways with this agent. If you have signed nothing and choose not buy the 2 houses already presented by them, all you need to move on is a professional "breakup letter." Email them your concerns listing the two houses that they have shown you with a bcc back to yourself.

Explain that you appreciate their services selling your house, but that you will not be using them as your buyer's agent. Thank them for their help and start interviewing other agents. Don't settle for an agent that you do not trust when there are better options.

I understand the job issue, but I would advise you to find an agent in an office where you don't work to avoid complications moving forward. 

Profile picture for RealEstateCrew
Go over your situation with the broker of the company.