Profile picture for TomTomClubber

My Realtor is not available to show me some homes, why isn't it OK to use another ?

My relative is too busy to show me homes and I hate to bother her when she's so busy, I know there are Realtors out there who have nothing else to do. The problem I am having is that Realtors don't want to show me homes.
  • August 31 2010 - Modesto
  • 1

Well, apparently his relative has been too busy to show him homes and frankly, if he is put on the back burner because he is a relative (I mean, is this how she treats all her customers?), then maybe any advice she has given can be taken as just a nice thing for a relative to do.

Only Tom knows at this point how much work she has put into his home buying situation and I guess Tom is the one who has to decide how to proceed and whether or not she deserves to be his agent or receive any compensation at all.

I will assume that this relative had still had disscussions, given advice, and assisted in other ways. Showing property is not the only thing we get paid for. It is the one way to close a deal, but it is not all we are good for. I believe it is in everyones best interest to work something out. After all this is your relative. I am sure you are just as important as his/her other customers, sometimes scheduling can become a conflict when dealing with multiple customers. This is a problem I have frequently and I have a team of other agents in my office more than willing to help me out and vice versa. I am sure your relative has someone that can help you on your time schedule where you can still have the good advice of your relative Realtor and get the time you need to look at homes.

Why is someone who is too busy to show him homes be due any compensation?
I still believe it would be in Tom's best interest to interview and find his own agent.

An agent never has "nothing else to do". There is always marketing, prospecting and educating themself if there aren't contracts to be written and negotiated. The problem isn't with the other agents, but with your relationship with your relative.You are a client of your relative, just as are all of her other clients. You are just as important and are not "bothering" her - she is doing her job. If she makes you feel that way, suggest to her that she refer you to someone in her office that isn't so busy . You will get the service you need and she will get to enjoy a small part of your commission.

My guess is there is more behind your question than you are telling us.  I don't know of an agent that is too busy to show homes.  There might be occasional time conflicts.  If you are one of those that calls your agent as you sit in front of a home you want to see, then your expectations are too high and unreasonable.  Try calling your attorney and tell him you want to see him now.  I bet you don't get to see him right away or your doctor for that matter.  Your relative is not your beck and call agent.  You need to get on his appointment schedule just like you would with other professionals in other fields.

If your agent is not available to meet your needs, fire the agent and use one who is available.  Of course it would behoove your relationship to discuss expectations with your current agent, and make it clear that needs aren't being met.

The first agent should not get a commission if he/she is not doing the work.

Of course other agents won't work for you, because they'd have to do all the work and split the commission.   Would you do that in your job?  I am not an agent, but wouldn't do so in mine.

Profile picture for hpvanc
This is one of many unfortunate side effects of the pure commission model for buyers agency.  Since the agent is paid by the seller out of their proceeds at time of sale, per what I understand of the rules on the structure, an agent showing you properties would not have procuring cause to get any compensation unless they show you the property you actually buy.  I personally have argued on here that a fee for services structure would be more fair for everyone, and better serve buyers and sellers, and remove the incentives for people that are nothing but salesmen.

Your question also underscores why agents need to form themselves into small teams, so they don't always have to be on call, can better handle the needs of multiple clients at the same time, not to mention that they could cover more areas of expertise, and would not have to rely on NAR's superficial training where they get enough information to parrot and be dangerous, but no actual expertise.

you can always use a new realtor. finding one that doesnt have anything else to do is not smart though. if you want to get something done talk to a busy person, there is always a reason people with business have business and those that dont, dont. contact me if you need assistance in this area.

Realtors work on 100% commission basis. The one that shows you home spends time and money showing you around and then if you were to go to your relative to write the contract, your relative would make the commission. This is forwned upon in our business as we take the apraoach, do unto others as you'd have done unto you. We are taught to respect customer relations with other Realtors. After all, after you have bought, we still have to work with each other in the future. May I suggest that you call your relative and explain the situation to him/her. Suggest that he/she refer you to someone else that assist you in a more timely manner. They can work out a referral system where they both get compensated and you get to look at homes on your time. I have never had a problem referring a customer to another Realtor if I am too busy. Good luck!

Why should he stick with an agent who isn't working in his best interests?

Too busy to show homes???  Really???

Yes, its true that agents want loyalty because they won't be paid for all the time spent unless they can bring a buyer to closing.
But its also true that agents need to earn that loyalty and being too busy to show houses doesn't cut it.

Profile picture for Mills Realty
Do you work for free?  Why would an agent show you a property when you are being represented by someone else?

Oooooh, call me!  Call me!

Oh yeah, wrong coast.

Seriously, you have a right to see homes when it is convenient for you.  Using a relative as your agent may be tempting but not always wise, as you can see since already you have not been able to get the service you deserve. 
If you don't want to hurt your relative's feelings, it should go both ways.  You do not deserve less service just because you are related to this person.  Let them know that you need to hire an agent who will work for you, then do just that.
Make sure you interview as many agents as it takes until you find one that will do the job to your satisfaction.

Profile picture for dacolan
It sounds like a matter of compensation. Other REAs are unlikely to be very willing to work with you if they think you've already committed to working with another REA.

1. 1
  2. 2