Profile picture for cgreifzu

My Zestimate has not updated after I entered more bedrooms, bathrooms, and a garage?

We recently had work done on our home and the house went from 3 beds, 1 bath, with no garage to 4 beds, 2 baths, and a 2 car garage.  The square footage increased by a little over 300 square feet.  We updated all this info into the website, and our Zestimate has not changed.  Our house is now bigger with more bedrooms and baths than our neighbors' on either side, and their Zestimates are bigger.  Could you tell us why the Zestimate has not changed?
  • December 22 2011 - Darien
  • 1

so cgreifzu - any change in your zestimate yet?

Very helpful

Profile picture for Dunes ..

Thanks for clarifying

The generalized and personal attacks. The "Realtors suck" trolling for attention. The noise. The confrontations. The bored statisticians. The obsessed soccer moms. The perpetual renters.

I'm not defending them. I'm just pointing out that they have decided to do it that way, which is different from Zillow. I think it is better for consumers who don't want to be accosted, but want the potentially one-sided info. I think most consumers would rather apply their own filter to the one-sidedness, than have someone else, often an anonymous avatar, tell them what they should think, or think about.

They also will never have to deal with the issue of the Corporation of Trulia distorting anything. The REA's that post there may distort everything, but Trulia didn't.

If you want to argue about Real Estate don't go Trulia.

If you want to argue about Real Estate, Zillow is the place. If you want to argue about Real Estate, with all comers, Zillow is the place. If you want to argue about Real Estate, with Zillow, Zillow is the place, even though the argument is sometimes hard to get off the ground.

Profile picture for Dunes ..

What does this mean.."They also limit unsolicited outside opinions"

The good thing about Trulia is that they keep their corporate "opinion" totally to themselves. They also limit unsolicited outside opinions. I think it helps. It may slightly dis-serve those who lack a salesmanship filter. But, the disservice is nowhere near the disservice Zillow causes by injecting their "opinions", and allowing unwarranted badgering. If you were here in 2007, you might agree.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Meant here "Trulia doesn't want people pointing out the Spammers" to add

& BSer's or the gaming or the problems or ANY Discussion about those things..that's why you do not see it

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Consumers asking Questions...
On AR there are Blogs by Agents discussing how each Agent at their Agency post x Consumer questions a week as part of their Marketing Plan...

You do not find Complaints because they do not allow them and they allow any spam or crap an agent posts so what is there to Police?
Tulia doesn't want people pointing out the Spammers

Trulia sucks ..Zillow on it's worst Day is a 100 times better for the Consumer

yes - silly consumers!

You can say what you want about Trulia (yes, they allow agents to leave spammy responses - but put that aside for a moment)..... go to their Q&A page at any time and guess what you will find???

You will find pages of QUESTIONS from consumers about real estate issues! How novel!

You do not find, on any regular basis, complaints...maybe an occasional "how do I", or "why didn't my photo upload" etc. question, but for the most part, you find genuine RE questions  and see consumers looking for advice.
Rarely do you see consumers upset with the site itself. 
You also don't find trulia contributors acting as police for the site - trulia frowns on that and prefers that you just flag a problem rather than take it on as your own. I agree with that policy, too.
 It's one thing to be helpful, and answer a zillow related question occasionally......... but even that should  mainly be overseen by zillow, imo

I am not defending trulia, just pointing out some of the  differences I see.

ps  Hamp, I must say.....you have quite a way with words.......and can create very picturesque images

This is the main problem with mixing Media and Real Estate. The confusion, clamor, cacophony, and chaos is a plus in a traffic count based Media site, but it is a big detriment to the Real Estate part.

Zillow is a gold plated toilet, with a mink seat, and no lid. And the butt squirter is broken.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
It's the Hordes of Uneducated Consumers..they just refuse to understand or be Educated

Seriously - what percentage of time and effort do you all think is spent (or wasted) on Zillow dealing with questions, complaints and misunderstandings about the ZESTIMATE???????

If I owned a company whose policy resulted in such controversy and confusion  - as seen by consumer responses and questions.........I would wonder what I was doing wrong...........either with the policy itself............or in the way I was handling the issues or questions!!

My guess is that over 35% of chatter on zillow is regarding zestimates. Not a day goes by without a number of questions just on the first page......resulting in a lot of clutter that muddles the real consumers questions about real estate............imo, zillow needs to deal with this issue much betterthan itis doing, and no one other than a zillow rep should be dealing with it.

It's their policy - let them defend and explain it.

@Hamp:    If a property is flagged because one tripled the size of the house, Zillow will confirm data with public records before making any changes.  If your description does not line up with public records,  Zillow will not make changes.  However, you can claim your home and triple its size, triple its lot etc as you wish.   You can make your house have 99 bathrooms if you wish.  Your changes will affect the Zestimate.  It takes time for the Zestimate to adjust, and I suspect (am guessing) the time it takes is because people used to game the Zestimate.  

If you have a gold mine, gold counters and titanium toilet seats - that is outside the bounds of the Zestimate calculation (but would be within the bounds of the missing "owner's estimate"-well, perhaps not the gold mine or oil well).

The 900 square foot house with 99 bathrooms saw its Zestimate soar after a couple of months. 

An interested onlooker can always click on the "more facts" and see what the public record says vs what you claim.  Therefore, you will need to be able to justify the differences.

I need a clarification from the experts. If I say, by flagging my Z or whatever, that I tripled the size of my house, discovered a gold mine in my yard, and installed granite floors, and hardwood counter-tops, will Zillow eventually adjust my Zestimate just based solely on my statements, or not? Or, do they wait until any changes are reflected in the official public record Assessment?

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Ahhhh...The Customer Support Email which no one can find without using Hunting Dogs and X-Ray Glasses

"Use this form to contact Zillow Customer Service and a Customer Advocate. For a speedy answer, please check out the FAQ section."

#1. a Customer Advocate..LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

#2. For a speedy answer, please check out LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

The LOLOLOLOLOL will most likely turn into a Link for the Customer Service Email......

@cgreifzu:

Here are the FAQs:
Claim your home  (required before you can edit)
Edit your home facts

Zillow customer support E-mail  link.  (Please note: they will not edit the facts for you.)

@cgreifzu

It's a secret, and they deliberately don't tell anyone or list a telephone number.It's for reasons like this that I believe that sites like zillow need some form of regulation as they can't be trusted to act in a socially responsible manner. If they are going to publish their view of private property valuations then at least they should have a formal process for home owners to appeal when the valuation is incorrect.

Such a process would obviously require the address, email and phone number to be published in a prominent position on the home page of the zillow website. Even if you successfully make contact they then fob you off with platitudes that zestimates are only a starting point blah blah blah. My experience in dealing with zilllow is dreadful which is why I am posting here and on other websites to educate people to the failings of zillows poor infrastructure and arrogant treatment of homeowners who complain that their home is incorrectly valued.

Profile picture for cgreifzu
Thanks Cathy,

Do you know what the address is for Zillow's customer support?  I was not able to find it on the website?

In addition to the other's comments, there is no record under your profile that you've claimed a home and edited the home facts.    Perhaps you used a different profile for claiming and editing?   If not, perhaps you tried to edit the facts without claiming the home?

I am still laughing over Hamp's term  "zestiwhack" !  :)

Hamp, zillow must like me as much as they like you, as my zestimate  keeps going up, too .....which is great, except for one little thing........ the market has not gone up! 
(I only wish I were selling now,  and a zillow-ette would come along who believes in the zestimate, and would make me that offer)!

cgreifzu
Zillow doesn't work here. Only volunteers.

Unfortunately, you may need to alert your County to the massive improvements in your home, in order to get the Zestithingy changed, and this will likely double your property taxes, prematurely. That may not be the best move financially.

Ignore Zillow. Their Zestimate is ultimately a meaningless insult. Or, ride them like a Donkey until they give you some respect.

@ Sunnyview
I changed my mind. I need a middle age crisis convertible, and a Harley.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Sept 16..Zillow Staff
"If we have received new information on your property, such as an update in beds, baths, price history, etc, the algorithm can take up to 8 weeks to completely integrate this new information in your home's Zestimate."
Link

Oct 30. wetdawgs
"It takes several weeks to several months after saving the edits for the Zestimates to respond." Link

5 days ago..Zillow Staff
"Just a heads up, if the changes were not significant enough, the Zestimate may not change. If it will, the effect will be shown after 8 weeks or so.Thank you.NeilZillow Customer Support"

Just seems 8 weeks (Which imo is more than a few) ..if it changes at all has been posted on numerous occasions by Staff and members

Just remember when you buy your Hummer with Zillow riches that orange is the new black...

I received an email from Zillow, about 12 days after flagging mine, that said the changes had been entered, and should show up within a few days. Haven't checked to see if the changes were made and what it did to my Zestiwhack.

Edit
The change was made. No discernible changes to value. Mine keeps on climbing. Thanks for your statistical inadequacy Zillow. I'm rich because of you. I'm going to refi, and buy a Hummer.

Profile picture for Dunes ..
Isn't this (Update) the can take 8 weeks or longer change..if it changes at all?

How long ago did you update the information?

You can try to reach out to a zillow staff member (Rachel Rosen, for example), but it may take some time to see any increase..of at all.

Good luck

If you just updated your house info, it takes a few weeks for that information to have any impact on the Zestimate if it's going to. From what I have seen, not all updates affect the Zestimate, but updating bed/bath counts and adding square footage seems to have the greatest effect.

You also need to look at the assessed value for your neighbors houses. If their assessed values or recent purchase prices are higher, that can also affect Zestimates.

It should have changed. I would send an email to Zillow's Customer Service and explain your issue. They should resolve it for you.