Profile picture for 2225rileyforest

My Zestimate is way, way off!!!

I know it is just an estimate, and there is a margin of error. But compared to my street it is way off and it has declined a lot more than the rest of my street. And yes, there is not a lot of variation in upgrades,etc.

I know you can update thru "my estimate"...but I am talking about the zestimate algorithm...it has gone awry on my house. How can I contact someone at zillow to atleast get them to review the facts.
  • October 25 2011 - East Beechwold

Best Answer

Profile picture for blue screen exile
You can review and edit the home details yourself after you claim your property.  (There is a delay for when it affects the estimates by a couple months).

You can also flag the last sold price/date if it is wrong for review and correction.  Similar, you can use the report a problem under the edit pull down tab if the tax assessed value doesn't agree with what was on your tax bill.

Upgrades are not used for the estimates, and the estimates are supposed to move individually per property, not in unison with the neighbors, so what the neighbor's do is not relevant.

The last sold date and price make a lot more difference in the estimates than most of the other details.

You can also search the recently sold in the area to see if some of those have misleading data and can flag those.

Although you can use the "report a problem" button to have a Zillow person check the recently sold in the area if there was a sudden spike in the estimate trend data; they usually don't find any anomalies; and when they do, all that is done is 1) correct the defective recently sold (which may mean omitting if it was a commercial property or a bulk sale, or a land only sale...) and 2) delete the one estimate from the trend.

They will not recalculate the estimate, except when they redo the entire series again from 1996 forward after they resolve some of the method changes they are presently working on.

Just remember, your neighbor's are off from "present market value" just as much as yours is.  If theirs are higher, that is just a temporary anomaly based on when they last sold and what they sold for.  And no one uses those numbers for any commercial purposes nor offers.

If you want to check some other machine generated opinions of approximate value using entirely different methods, you might look at:

Homesand.net

Eppraisal

realquest.com express

cyberhomes.com

trulia

chase

homegain

homes.com