Profile picture for lyok23

My bank want to modify my loan for $750mo, 2% interest rate, but keep the balance same.

I have 2b+2ba condo in Reseda, CA. My bank wants to modify my loan for $750mo, 2% interest rate, but keep the balance same, which is $280,000. They actually deferred the $80,000 and I have to pay 2% fixed interest for 360mo only on $200,000. But I have to pay that amount, $80,000, end of the loan, when I sell the property or when I refinance. I though when modification is done the bank also lowers yours balance with interest rate permanently. I guess not. I just like to know if that's good deal. I think it is, because if I rent 2b+2b condo, I have to pay at least $1500 in Tarzan-Reseda-Encino area.
  • June 25 2011 - Reseda
  • 0

That sounds so great it looks like banks are coming around finally.

That is a  really good deal and I applaud your lender for working with you.  Grab it now!  There is no reason for you to even have a second thought.  If you rent, you pay $1500/month and if you modify your loan it will only be $750/month for 360 months.  If you calculate the money you save for your loan modification vs rent, you are saving $750/month x 360 months = $270,000.  Even if you don't lower your balance, you are still ahead.  Don't forget that you still get the tax write off when you continue paying your mortgage vs renting.

Sounds like you've got a real deal!   It is extremely rare for the principal to be lowered.  I think there have been only enough so that some people can be quoted in the news media.