My brother and I inherited my Moms home recently. I want to keep it and he wants to sell. I live t

April 01 2013 - Fremont

To be fair, your brother may want to get a market valuation of the property before he consents to any amount you want to give him.

So engage a realtor to prepare a comparable market analysis of the property to get a price range of how much it could sell for on the open market.  I can help you in this regard, I just need to know the property address.

After that, if he's entitled to half, then determine if you can afford to buy him out.  Is the property paid off, or is there a balance?

Talk with a mortgage broker and see how much you qualify for a new loan if you can't pay cash. Contact me directly -- and I can give you at least two lenders you can talk with regarding getting preapproved for a loan so that you'll know how much you can afford.

Factor in how much you can save if you don't sell (i.e., selling commissions) and reduce the price accordingly. Just remember that any type of transfer of property is still subject to county/city transfer taxes and other recording fees.

But if you can't afford to get a new loan to buy out your brother, you may not have a choice but to sell it.

Contact me directly so we can talk about your options. Your brother should probably be brought in since the property is half his, too

You can find lenders in your area by clicking on "Find a Pro" in the top line and then putting in the appropriate search terms.  It makes sense to talk with someone in person about the situation as it isn't a plain old refinance and you may need some creative thinking.

Thank so much.  Good guess.   What got cut off was the part where I wanted to give him about 100K in cash and finance the rest.  Approx a 150K.  I just don't know if I qualify to do that.  I don't make as much as I used to but I also have no debt.  I paid cash for my car last year and have next to nothing in regard to credit card debt.  Didn't know who I would contact in regard to a lender.

Your question was cut short.  Click on "post reply" to provide the rest of the story.  

Just guessing:

When a house is inherited by siblings, it is common for there to be a difference of opinion on what to do.

Common options:

1.  Buy him out.   The two of you need to determine how to identify fair market value (appraisal? CMAs?).   Then, split the costs and you pay him for his half by getting a mortgage (or paying from cash in the bank). 

2. Can't get a loan to buy him out? 
a.  Sell the house, no matter how it breaks your heart and split the proceeds.
b.  See if he will allow you to pay him slowly.  See an attorney to come up with a contract.