Profile picture for zuser20140530040432909

My buyer wants me to sign an addendum for repairs. Can I refuse and void the contract?

May 30 - Norfolk

No way for any of us to advise you  without reading the contract. At this point you need legal advice.

June 05
Depends what the contract says. Normally with the default Nova contracts the buyer can make one round of requests. If the seller says no, it still then goes back to the buyer for one last chance to take it as is. Rarely is there a case that a seller can walk once presented with the list.

June 05

The buyer submits a written offer, you accept the offer but then the buyer wants repairs and you don't want to make them. I think I have that correct.

If there is not an agent involved you are at risk because of the new Extortion Scam being taught at weekend get rich quick classes which is legal but not moral

Consult with an attorney immediately

June 04
I do wish there was more information provided, because it all depends on your contract. I would have to ask whether the addendum is removing a repair contingency from the original contract or adding one? I would never advise my clients to sign an addendum which would make them do additional work or lose money (unless it was an element of the original contract).

Generally speaking, an addenda is an addition or a change to a contract, without addenda, the contract remains as it was originally. If my client did not want to make any repairs, and the contract said "no repairs" or "as is", I would advise him/her against the addendum.  I would require the buyer to fulfill their obligations as stated or if my client prefers, I would agree to allow the buyer out by void.

Contrarily, if there is a clause in the contract which allows for a satisfactory home inspection (and usually a capped repair amount), then this would be the addenda to remove the contingency once the agreed upon repairs are completed.  In this case you would be subject to repairs up to the "cap" as stated in your contract and can not just void yourself out of it.

June 03
You don't give much info to work with, so I have to make some assumptions.

I assume you are under contract and you had a home inspection. There were issues that the buyer is asking you to fix. By not signing or agreeing to the request does not void the contract, the buyer can walk away if they choose to if there is a due diligence period or inspection period in play. As the seller you can always say no. The buyer then has to decide do they wish to continue on, but they are the ones that can cancel the contract, not you.

May 30