Profile picture for dlgeorge

My carpet in my home was ruined due to a busted pipe. I would like to replace with hardwood

The problem is I also have quite a bit of tile, from the foray to and between the dining room and the den to the hall and in the kitchen. It is 16" placed on the diagonal.

The wood  floors would be in the den, dining. study and bedrooms.  Would it look stupid to have both tile and wood? Or do I need to bite the bullet and have wood floors all the way through the house?  What about the bath and kitchen?  Is it practical for those areas.  I am single with no children and  small dog.
  • February 14 2011 - Dallas

Actually, I believe the combination can be quite lovely. Both are so practical...however, remember if a dog has a wet  "accident" on hardwood it will take the finish off. Make sure properly sealed when installed.

Hi dl.  It's really a matter of personal choice and whether or not you believe the hardwoods and tile complement each other.  I will say this however, from a desirability standpoint for resale I find that the fewer flooring choices a property has, the larger it feels.  Sometimes the transitions are just fine, other times they are an "eyestopper".  Flooring should be the base for an area or a room, and not take away from the polished feel of the right choice of decor and furnishings.  If you are talking about a couple of transitions then you probably aren't looking at eyestopping areas, but if the result ends up in a crazy quilt, where your eye travels more to the flooring than to your chosen focal points, then you might want to think about installing more hardwood.  Decorators rule of thumb is no more than 2 flooring choices visible from any given viewpoint in a room - but again, it's a matter of personal choice.  The fact that you even asked shows that you care about the aesthetics in your home, and one the woods are down it's difficult to piecemeal them into other areas if you are unhappy with the result.  Good luck - I bet it will be beautiful!

Hardwood and tile can be an excellent combination.   I've had hardwood in the kitchen in three separate houses, and love it.  It is a zillion times better than tile - softer for standing, less likely to crack things that fall (and less likely to break tiles when I drop things), and doesn't get filthy grout lines.

As long as the tile looks good, and the flooring contractor you choose makes a nice transition between the wood floor and tiles, it should look just fine.  You definitely do not want to put wood floors down in the bathrooms, but I personally love wood floors in the kitchen.  Some people might say it isn't a great idea because of spills or if you drop plates or utensils on the floor you could ding and damage it, but if you choose a harder species of wood it'll definitely look good. 

Marcin
[Contact info removed by moderator]

It's difficult to give you an opinion without seeing a layout of the home.  Having 2 types of flooring isn't unusual.  It actually makes sense for some layouts because it gives a transition from one room to another.  I love wood floors (not laminate).

I find that most people prefer carpet in the bedrooms.  If from a cost perspective and if the tile is outdated such as 12x12 or 13x13, it may make more sense to bite the bullet indeed.

I hope I didn't confuse you more.

Naima

Hardwood and tile work very well together provided you choose complimentary colors. I would suggest you talk to at least three contractors and hear them out. By the end you will almost feel like a pro.