My credit is horrible and I need to rent a house now and don't qualify. What to do?

Due to my home going into a short sale, my husband not working, and my taxes going up to 12k, we have to short sale out house. We need to rent out a 3 bedroom house in the northern suburbs of illinois. My credit is shot. What can I do? I feel there is no where to turn! Help!

February 03 2013 - Antioch

Some landlords will consider those with lousy credit with a security deposit of two or three months rent in addition to the normal security deposit.

Good luck.

February 03 2013
Double down on the security deposit and offer to pay 3 or 4 months in advance with a Cashier's check (ie pre pay) on the day you get the keys.  That will be hard for someone to turn down.

February 04 2013
check out that advise...here in NJ IT IS ILLEGAL

February 04 2013
Is a good idea to make an appointment and have a meeting with your prospective landlord, explain the cirucnstances and have a folder with rentals recomendations from past landlords, employers and utility companies and explain to fim/her that in worse scenario you can ask a family member or a friend to cosign your rental lease.
Best of Luck,

Maria Cipollone

February 04 2013
Be honest and up front with your prospective landlords. Private landlords are more lenient when it comes to your credit. Show case your strengths instead. For instance long employment history, fixed income, and good Landlord references. These are great ways  to try and negotiate yourself and offer alternative assurance.

Good luck in your search!

February 05 2013
I agree with being honest and upfront. Truth of the matter is a lot of these landlords just need to get their places rented. They understand that people have had credit issues. I would search Craigslist as well.

February 07 2013
I have a home for rent in Arlington Heights , I work with bad credit as long as the rent can and will get paid your past is fine with me. We can not help the economy if we don't trust in each other.

Latest reply by user61008

1. 1060 Bishop St, Antioch, IL Home For Sale
    1060 Bishop St, Antioch, IL 60002

2. 38040 N Peninsula Rd, Lake Villa, IL Home For Sale
    38040 N Peninsula Rd, Lake Villa, IL 60046

3. 1002 Sanderling Ct, Antioch, IL Home For Sale
    1002 Sanderling Ct, Antioch, IL 60002