Profile picture for AlyssaWeaver

My fiance and I want to close on a house in oct/nov in keller/ eagle mtn isd...

Our lease is up Dec 5th... and I don't want to end up paying rent + mortgage. When should we start looking/ making offers?
  • July 11 2011 - Far Northwest
  • 0

Congratulations on your upcoming move!!!  Keller was selected by Money magazine as one of the Top 10 areas of the country to relocate to.  I have worked with many relocation clients from JC Penny and Fidelity Investments that have recently moved here.  My daughters attended school here and I know that you will find that it is wonderful friendly community with so much to offer.  I would suggest you plan a trip to begin viewing homes in person as soon as possible.  The September weather has been wonderful and we have so many fun things for you to see and do while here. 
I would suggest a trip to a few of our new home communities.  They are a great value with many upgrades and the energy efficiency of these homes is incredible.  The best way to work your move and the offer on a home.  Would be to set the closing date for November 7th and your first mortgage payment on your home would be January 1st, 2012.  It also gives you plenty of time to make the move without being rushed or stressed. [self promotion and contact information deleted by Zillow moderator.  Please refer to Good Neighbor Policy for posting guidelines]

Profile picture for Mevin Barnes

September at the absolute latest.  Damon is right, it usually takes about 30 days to close and that's if everything goes right.  I'm not familiar with your area but in my market the inventory is shrinking and it is taking buyers a little longer to find exactly what they are looking for.  Also I would caution you to not waste time with short sales since you have a time constraint. They are too time consuming and unpredictable. 

Profile picture for COREXRE
Once you locate a RE agent who meets your cirteria ...... advise them of your schedule, especially your preferred closing date and targeted 'move-out' date.   Then build a schedule for all the key events that you would like to have happen or need to happen, backwards from that ending lease date (Dec 5th), including but not limited to:

Your prefered closing date - (sooner thatn Dec 5th).
Time to move prior to Dec 5th when your lease ends - (don't wait until the very end - be willing to move out a week or so earlier to allow some error of margin for the moving process).
Your latest contract offer date (knowing some good number of days can be spent in negotating with the seller via his agent).
Starting your home search early is not a bad idea, as you really don't know how many homes you will look at prior to making a choice .... and you likely will need to back that first pick with a second and maybe a third choice.
Finally - be sure to get pre-qualified for a loan prior to starting the actual home search process ..... that's a critical piece of the many things to do in a market such as we are experiencing (typically) nationwide today!!

Remember ...... negotating can take time ....... and just finding the 'right' property for you can take time too.   So generally speaking, its better to start earlier in the 'new home hunt' process than later.

Best success ........................

I would start looking for the home no later than September.  It can take a little time to find the home you are interested in and there is no gaurentee you will find it quick. Plus its usually 30 days to close when you find "the one".  Usually my clients find the home they want any where from the 1st to 3rd time out.  You also want to get a good idea for the area and homes on the market before you jump in head first.  You can also get on a daily update list from an agent and that will also help you to be on top of the market.  Keller is a good area and yes the schools are great.  I have sold quite a view homes in the Keller and trophy club area and I am always impressed with the selection.  Hope this helps and let me know if you have any additional questions!

Since you have narrowed down where you want to live, that's a huge step that you took care of.  If you close on your house at the end of November, your first payment will be January 1st.  So that being said, you want to have a home under contract by the beginning of November.  It takes approx. 30 days to process the loan, do inspections etc.

So you can start looking online as early as you want and physically go look at homes beginning of October.

Naima

Profile picture for B Mike West
It takes most buyers a little time to get use to the market and familiar enough with the market to be ready to make an offer.  The first step is to contact a mortgage broaker and get pre-qualified for the financing.  Once you know what you can afford you can start looking.  Then select a local Realtor and let them know your time constraints and follow their suggestions.  It is possible to make an offer with a close on December XX.  Just have your Realtor explain to the listing agent why.

Good Luck.