Profile picture for jeffbam

My home estimate dropped significantly after editing home facts

I remodeled my home and added these facts, within weeks, my home estimate dropped $9,000 while my neighbors houses, which are not remodeled and are the same builder and model of home, have not been remodeled.  This doesn't seem to make any logical sense.  Could you comment on this?

I have since removed all of the additional information I had entered in hopes it will go back up again.

thank you for any feedback you may have.
  • February 06 2010 - Greenfield
  • 1

Best Answer

Hello. I am not Zillow, but I have two ideas. First, you might look for some recent low sales on your extended recent sales list. That may have hit at the same time you edited your house facts. You can find the extended list by clicking on the link at the bottom of the " comps list for more information. The second idea is that I have noticed that if your neighborhood does not typically have the number of bed and bath listed and only the square footage is listed, you may see a value drop when you enter more detail that your "square footage only" neighbors. I cannot explain why, but I have seen other cases where being the only house in the neighborhood with bed/bath count listed seems to drop the Zestimate. I am not Zillow so I don't know, but it may be because you are getting compared to less expensive houses or maybe your house simply loses the "benefit of the doubt" in the Zillow number system somehow. You may want to consider editing your home facts to delete the bed/bath count if that is the norm for your area. If this change makes a difference in the numbers, it may take 6-8 weeks to fully show up, but it cannot hurt and you can always change it back if you want. Zillow is not an appraisal they are just a numbers site, so the numbers are bound to get wonky sometimes.

Profile picture for nwhome.us
Sunnyview,
Are you assuming that other homes in the neighborhood didn't fall some amount in the same period?  The OP's openinng sentence is a little confusing...