Profile picture for jeanecal

My home has been listed on Zillow for 114 days. Why has no one contacted me that they are interested

September 10 2011 - Cumming

As far as tax value being weird, many places don't assess at full market value. In Cheektowaga, NY the town holds an assessed value at 62% of the full market value. The next town over, Lancaster, uses 100% assessments, and another town uses 5%. 3 Identical houses might theoretically be assessed at $100,000, $62,000, and $5,000 yet still have the same taxes (ignoring differences in taxes town-to-town and school-to-school)

Dear Seller:
In today's real estate market, even the professionals are having to think outside the box to get their listings sold.  It is highly advisable to consult a local Realtor and have them work for you and get your property sold.
The amount that you think you are in commission is far less than having a professional not only find you the right buyer but also make sure the deal closes at the end.
What I am seeing these days is that finding the buyer is really the easiest part of selling my listings, it's making sure the buyer can close the deal and handling ALL the negotitations is the hardest.
Trust the professionals and put them to work for you!
Hope this helps,
Kathy Seuylemezian
Previews Property Specialist
Coldwell Banker, La Canada Flintridge

Price is the number one thing that is selling homes right now. Your house does need exposure to find buyers, but if your price is wrong you will never even hear from those buyers. If you have had no interested lookers and no offers, I think you need to look hard at why your house is not selling.

If it were me, I would call a couple of local agents and ask them what they think. They may be able to give you suggestions, give you an honest assesment about why the house is not selling and work out a commission or fee agreement to help put you on the MLS and feed sites. There is a non commercial blog here on selling FSBO. It has ideas for improving your houses visibility in the market, shooting photos to help your house sell and assessing your listing price.

In this economy it is HARD to sell homes. Anyone who thinks it is easy is kidding themselves. For Sale By Owners generally find this out the hard way. Real estat brokers make a career out of finding the best ways to market and sell homes. That's what they do. Best best is to contact a broker and solicit their help, if you are not already. Even then, it can be difficult and take time in this economy. The three things that you need to consider are Marketing exposure, Price, and Condition. Condition is probably not the issue if you havn't even been contacted so look at improving the marketing presence and take a realistic look at the pricing.

In this market, a seller really needs every advantage you can get.  I'm assuming you are advertising your home other places as well, I hope.  Don't rely on one single website to sell your home.  Exhaust all your resources.  Do your homework to ensure the sell-ability of your home (price).  If you're feeling stuck, consult a local Realtor with a strong track record.  The right agent can save you a lot of time and money.

Profile picture for New_Englander
(I'm also curious why even when the house was new in 2004 and you paid $208,000 for it, the assessment was only $70,000-something, and it has never gone over $80,000.....?)

The Zillow listing raises questions and quite frankly if I were a buyer, I don't think I would want to work with an owner who was selling and had no other web presence.

Profile picture for New_Englander
Just a couple things I noticed about your listing.  First, your asking price is three times the 2010 tax assessment value.  I assume you have done a lot of work in the last year or so, but people seeing the listing (assuming they see it at all) might think you should be asking $76,000.  (Speaking of which, what IS your asking price based on?)

Second... while your home seems nice and your photos are far from the worst real estate photos I have ever seen (I believe that honor goes to my next door neighbor) the photos are not doing justice to the house.  If you are FSBO, at least consider getting some professional help with the photos.  You've got random corners of rooms, the upper part of the fireplace rather than the whole thing, the bottom of your front door rather than the whole thing, etc..  Zoom is NOT your friend... have some "big picture" photos... right now I really can't get a sense of the spaces in your house.

Finally.... as Pat mentioned, one realtor's listing can be picked up by hundreds of websites.  My next door neighbor is NOT selling on Zillow, but when I google the address, a long list of real estate websites come up, each showing the listing.  You need your listing to be on more than just Zillow.  I googled your address... the ONLY result is the Zillow listing.  So, you're relying on people happening to be looking at OTHER listings in your area, on Zillow, and Zillow suggesting your house as a similar house for sale in the area.  But then... for the only way for anyone to contact you to be through Zillow is quite a tall order when there is so much other inventory out there.

You might also consider rewriting your little marketing blurb.

Profile picture for New_Englander
Just a couple things I noticed about your listing.  First, your asking price is three times the 2010 tax assessment value.  I assume you have done a lot of work in the last year or so, but this may be turning off a potential buyer who thinks your house should be listed for $76,000.

Finally.... as Pat mentioned, one realtor's listing can be picked up by hundreds of websites.  My next door neighbor is NOT selling on Zillow, but when I google the address, a long list of real estate websites come up, each showing the listing.  You need your listing to be on more than just Zillow.

I assume you are a FSBO (For Sale By Owner).  I suggest that you speak with some Realtors in your area, who have significant web presence, about what they can do for you should you list with them.  Some of them may be syndicating their listings on more than 350 web sites (as my team does in my location).

That is a very very difficult question.

There are three major possibilities off the top of my head:

1. Marketing:  is it reaching the target audience?  (Is it on Zillow only, or have you posted it in numerous locations?)  Is the house well presented?   Do the photos present the house or are they photos of the owner's treasured possessions?

2.   Pricing:   Is this a competitive price?  This can often be a big issue.

3.  Very few buyers in your area

You have control over 1 & 2