Profile picture for rita tafelski

My home specs are listed wrong with city. Should we change it?

We have a 5 bedroom 5 bath, but our home is listed with the county and on all websites as a only 4 bedroom 3 bath which seems to effects our value calculations etc.  Should we change and how?  Will this correction likely increase our taxes?

May 11 - Atlanta

Assuming you are in Fulton county. If one of these bedrooms and baths is on the basement/terrace level, the assessor would not include it in the count. Secondary websites such as Zillow get information about your house from the tax card. An agent will market it correctly. If your house has an addition and it is not counted, the addition may not have been legally permitted when added. If you want to contact me I will be happy to look further for you and explain. I've been working real estate in Atlanta for over 13 years, appraisal and sales.

May 13
The market value of your home will be different, the tax value depends on your particular city. I would give the assessor's office a call and talk with them hypothetically at first. If you aren't looking to sell your home anytime soon then I would just leave it the way it is for now. If you are looking to sell your home and need the valuation higher, I would go in claim and edit the Zillow and Trulia information. 

May 12