Profile picture for McKennaPatton

My home was listed without my permission - listing agent won't respond

We bought our home (MLS number: m1355024) on April 6, 2010 and have never listed it for sale since and don't intend to for some time.  We happened to notice that it got listed again only a couple of months later without our knowledge or permission by the past listing agent.  We have contacted them twice to have it removed and got put on a email mailing list in response, with no other answer and our home remains listed on Zillow.  How can we get this removed? Not only do I want to avoid someone perpetrating fraud, I don't want our "unsold" listing to affect other nearby property values.
  • January 17 2011 - Wynwood - Edgewater
  • 1

Best Answer

"As Realtors, we can't be responsible for every website that uses one of our listings without our permission"

Hate to be a stickler, but if you did not put them on Zillow or authorize them on a automatic feed to Zillow, who did? I have no doubt that listings slip through the cracks through no fault of the agent, but I see no excuse for agents who are asked to follow up and remove listings not doing so. I see that as unprofessional. 

I hope the owner's email request gets the listing removed. As an owner, they should not have their house being listed without their consent and when it is not for sale.

McKenna, good lord it just shouldn't be this hard to get someone to do their job. I am sorry that the agent is being such a problem. You have done all that you can as the owner to clear this up including calling and emailing multiple times.

This should not be allowed happen, but this agent obviously thinks that they can do what they want. I flagged your question so hopefully Zillow can contact the agent directly and help you get this removed.

PS Thank you for the best answer. I appreciate it a lot.

Start by calling the Realtor's Broker and attempting resolution.

Hi McKennaPatton:  If the property is still listed on Zillow, the actions of the agent apparently were ineffective (duh!! you say!)    Therefore, open the property details page, scroll to the very bottom and click on "listing source".   If there is an active listing source, then the agent needs to chase down and remove it from that source.  

While Zillow can manually remove a property for sale, as long as the property is in an active listing feed to Zillow it will keep popping up as "for sale" on Zillow. Many Realtors find that it takes some chasing to squelch all the active listing feeds, many give up before they are done and blame Zillow.

Profile picture for McKennaPatton
Wow, most of you guys really DON'T read the question or the responses completely before giving an answer, do you Sharon Lewis? We HAD claimed the house and tried to have it removed several times but were told that could only be done by the listing agent's office, which at the time was not responding to our emails.  On 1/17/11, I spoke directly to the agent who said that he would work on removing the listing the next day but could not promise how quickly Zillow would remove the listing themselves.  I have no reason to doubt what he said because he was always responsive when I got a hold of him personally in the past.  At this time, Zillow is still listing the property.

Go in and 'claim' your house and removed the for sale on it.
Contact the agents broker in charge and let them know about the problem.
good luck to you.

No one is thinking that a few so called "Realtors" just add listings and pictures of these listings to get more  "contributions". More contributions means more exposure, I know it is a shame but the only recourse is just get in contact with the broker,informed zillow and let them know about this situation.

Profile picture for McKennaPatton
Ms. Gesselman, if you had looked at either the listing I referred to or my response below, you would see that clearly was not the case.

The realtor probably forgot to list it as sold. Zillow should automatically pull the listing from the MLS. Feel free to give me a call and I will help you find your local board of realtors to call.

Profile picture for McKennaPatton
Mr. Smith & Mr. Gibbs, my home WAS listed on Zillow as "sold" correctly when we finalized the purchase (4/6/10).  However, it was RELISTED again in June 2010, apparently by the listing agent.  It was the relisting that baffled me.  I realize that agents are busy with multiple listings and things slip through the cracks and there's this "feed" thing I don't understand.  However as a client, I appreciate "Sunnyview"'s opinion that an agent is responsible for a listing period.  You see, there are a lot of things that are "easy to forget" in any job and I ran across a lot of shoulder-shrugging and "it's-not-my-fault"-ing in our home buying experience. An agent who gracefully takes responsibility -- even for something that may not be 100% their fault -- wins my trust and loyalty.

I concur with Mr. Gibbs...Zillow doesn't automatically update after a house is sold. In order for it to be sold, I have to manually change the status....which probably never got done in your case....so it's still showing for sale. I just marked two sold that I had sold long ago. I didn't put them ON Zillow so it shouldn't be my responsibility to update them...other sites do update. As Realtors, we can't be responsible for every website that uses one of our listings without our permission.  

As an agent, it's easy to forget to go into Zillow and update the listing to show that a property has been sold.  I'm sure the house is not listed as active with your local board of realtors.  I don't mean to be defending the agent, especially when you have tried to contact him numerous times, but I just discovered that my own house was still showing as an active listing on Zillow, and it was sold a while ago.  Of course I updated the listing.

Profile picture for McKennaPatton
Thanks, guys.  I just found out that my husband had also called and left a voicemail weeks ago so we HAVE already done that.  I just wrote to every email I had for that office from when we bought the house, detailing our efforts and giving them until end of business day 1/20/11.  If it still hasn't been removed, then we file a complain (thanks for the link).

"We have contacted them twice to have it removed and got put on a email mailing list in response, with no other answer and our home remains listed on Zillow."

Normally, I would agree with you Darren, but this owner has already given the agent TWO different opportunities to resolve this. The agent is not a child who needs parenting. They are a professional who need to do their job. This owner is being reasonable and this agent needs to be reasonable too. If it is a mistake, then it will be graciously fixed in the reasonable 3 day timeline. If it is not, this owner has what they need to file a complaint that will stick against an agent who has failed to do their duty.

Mistakes do happen since agents deal with a lot of feeds, but it is not this owners responsibility to endlessly contact this agent to make sure they do their job. 

Start the easy way - call or better yet go to the broker's office.  If the agent made a mistake their broker will want it corrected ASAP. If there were more sinister motives the broker's license is at risk as well.  Give him or her a chance to resolve it.

Then if don't get what you need from it, you can contact your local board and the state.

You need to get your proof lined up before you call the broker or make a complaint. Send that agent and their broker an email giving them 3 business days to remove the listing. Tell them if they do not remove it, you will turn a complaint into their board. the FTC and to the licensing organization. Make sure and send your self a bcc email so you have proof of the written request. You will need it if you have to file a complaint. Also take a photo or screen shot of the listing on your computer screen and print it out with the date.

You also need to google your address to make sure that you are not listed on other RE sites as for sale and ask for any of those feeds to also be removed.

Once the 3 business days have passed, email the agent and their broker again with another bcc to yourself stating that you are filing the complaint against both of them with the local RE association here. Keep all emails and tell them that you intend to sue for damages of $50 per day that the fraudulent listing remains up. The agent will comply or you will be able to sue in court and win. If it is a mistake the agent will apologize and remove the listing. If it is not, the agent will lose in court and the listing will be removed once you file your complaint. Either way you win.

Are you kidding?  Oh my!  Try calling the broker of the company to obtain her/his response.  And if that doesn't provide the satisfaction you are looking for, file an ethics complaint.