My house is for sale for much more than your Zillow estimate. How can we fix ?

Looks like you are basing your Zillow estimate on the base cost of my home in 2005.  I purchased the house for 290,000 and finished the lower level for $45,000 plus paid out of pocket for many, many upgrades.  It looks pretty bad to have my asking price at $30k more than your Zillow estimate.  I've asked for it to be revised, but no response for you.
  • April 27 2011 - Olathe
  • 0

Profile picture for Mills Realty
Lower the price!  :-)

I am joking, but I also wouldn't be too concerned about the Zestimate.  Amu Realtor worth their salt is going to use comparable sales to value property.

Zillow does not revise Zestimates on request or demand, only when the facts change.

The Zestimate is calculated from the core facts, square feet, lot size, location, number of rooms.  If you've claimed your home and edit those facts, the Zestimate may change in a few weeks to a few months.  The last one I monitored was 8 weeks.     (There is no record that you've edited "facts" under your current sign in name.)

If you've done upgrades, these do not come into account with the Zestimate.   You can, however, use the "my estimate" tool to call these out to the world.   You can also pay for an appraisal, and put the appraisal value (with the date) in the comment box.

As an agent, it would be very useful in your skill set to have a good understanding of the Zestimate so you can be helpful to your buyers and sellers.  The FAQ section is very useful starting point.

Profile picture for Bryan Tobiason
Pam, 

I wouldn't be too concerned about the Zestimate on your home.  They're a good gauge of value but by no means a bible.  In fact your Zestimate will have a range that encompasses a broad area.  As an agent who helps many buyers and sellers I can tell you that neither group pays much attention to the Zestimate.  It's similar to a county tax value and can vary wildly depending on many factors.  

I hope that helps...

Have a great day & good luck in your sale!