Profile picture for annacakes79

My husband and I pay $850 a month on rent. My Score is 720, his 517.

We can afford a payment. He is the one with the income, 29k last year. I get 9k in child support, stay at home mom. 4 kids. He has no positive credit, his poor credit consists of mostly medical. What can we do? Is there a person that will touch a mortgage for us? We NEED to move and I don't want to unless we will be there for several years.
  • July 06 2009 - Florence
  • 0

Best Answer

Several options: 1)You could take the loan in your name(with the high score) and get a non-occupant co-borrower to add income. 2) Get a contract for deed (seller financed home),  fix your husbands credit and refinance at that time (in this scenario you secure equity) 3) get a lease with the option to purchase and during the lease period fix your husbands credit; then if you opt to buy the home, you at least are already in the home and settled (no equity accrued in this scenario and you have to put a downpayment at the time of purchase).

In any case, the purchase price would be on the low end so verify with a professional loan officer how much home you can buy on your income. the child support payments will have to verified by the department of social services and may you be successful in your ventures. Good Luck.

Profile picture for MAKEMEYOURS
I would recommend calling Mr. Tim Eickhoff.  His office is located in Florence.  He may be able to help.  I've referred several friends to him and they were all pleased.  I have several rental properties that he was able to get financed.  I currently have a house for sale at 7 Cardinal Drive in Florence.  If you go to my listing and send me an email through the listing I will give you his cell phone number.  I dont want to post it on the Q & A format.  I think he'll be helpful.  Good Luck

It is possible, but of course can't say for certain without seeing the whole picture... Is your husband in a position to payoff any of the derogatory debt?  By doing this it could possibly raise his scores, the medical debt can be explained and is usually overlooked.  Hope this helps!

I believe you should put a full court press on fixing your husband's credit.  This will be the easiest/fastest way to buy your home.  Find a loan officer that also has substantial knowledge about credit.  You can, of course, pay a credit repair expert which, if he is good, will do the best job.  But this does have a cost.