Profile picture for Onyx3333

My landlord is foreclosing. Please help!

My landlord was served pprk in Feb. with a foreclosure from his bank.  In Feb. he told me not to worry, he was not foreclosing.  However, we confirmed that he is in fact foreclosing.  He now says that he is working with the bank to do a loan modification.  However, since the property is not his primary residence, I heard that the bank will most likely not approve him.  Witch means he will foreclose.  I was thinking about paying him half of my rent for the next four months to make up for the security deposit.  Can he evict me?  I am afraid if I don't do that I will never see that money again.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • April 09 2010 - Chicago
  • 0

I had a whole paragraph written out giving my best explanation but then I remembered that - heck- I'm not an attorney!

You are fortunate to live in a big city like Chicago as there is a tenants rights organization you can call that will give you legal advice as it pertains to the state of Illinois and the city of Chicago. Give them a call as laws vary from state to state. But I would caution you not to withhold rent until you receive advise of counsel.

Here's the link. (look for the 'contact us' link on the home page)

http://www.tenants-rights.org/

Chances are good that if you chose not to pay your full rent that he can indeed evict you because you are in violation of your terms of your lease.  But, as M said, we are not attorneys and cannot provide legal advice. 

Profile picture for Evelyn S. Fred
Hi Onyx,

Unfortunately, you're not alone in this scenario.  Definitely contact the tenants rights organization as recommended here.

If that doesn't get you the answers you're looking for contact the Illinois Tenants Union, 773-588-3433.

Profile picture for Onyx3333
Thank you for your help!

Profile picture for neighbor88
Reliable info for tenants whose landlord is in foreclosure
http://www.tenants-rights.org/faq-tenants-and-foreclosure/

Profile picture for cmmote
most banks are letting you live out your lease...in most states