My landlord will not put utilities in my name or fix water damages

My landlord will not put anything in my name. She calls with the amount for electric and I mail it to her. We have water problems. The roof leaks and my shower leaks into the kitchen. And the electric shorts out when things are plugged in to outlets because of the water. I had an electrician come and he said it was dangerous. I told the landlord this and she did nothing. Now the electrician will not come back because she did not pay him. I pay $475 a month. The house is nice except for these problems.What should I do?
A Northern Wisconsin Renter

May 29 2012 - Cable

The Bayfield planning department might be able to help with building department or code enforcement (715) 373-6138. The local housing authority may also be able to give you ideas.

Thank you for the advice. I am trying to find the inspector for Bayfield County in Wisconsin.

I agree with wetdawgs. I would make a written request for repairs and look for another place to back yourself up.

If conditions are dangerous, you may have other options under the tenant law, but when push comes to shove you may have to move anyway if the landlord is unwilling to repair basic items.

Also, many counties and cities have rental inspectors or if the situation is a code violation you might contact the local building department to see if the house should be "red tagged" for repairs. In many states, that would mean the landlord would have to help pay for you to move if the safety problems were not addressed.

Here's a link to the Wisconsin landlord/tenant guidelines.

If repairs need to be made, it is best to request the repairs in writing so that you have a paper trail for documentation.   With electric shorts etc, it sounds like you are in potentially dangerous situation.   Please read the guidelines linked above carefully to come up with a course of action. 

If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking to move.