Profile picture for rigley123

My name is on the mortgage loan alone but my name and my ex wifes name are on the deed

If i refinace will that take my ex wifes name off the title or do i need her to do something to get her name off the deed?

May 25 2011 - Baxter Springs

I highly recommend consulting with a local real estate attorney in your area.  They will be able to advise you on the best option(s).  In most cases, it would be a quit claim deed but you will want to see if there is other paperwork for your state that needs to be filed at the same time.  Be thorough and ask questions until you are comfortable with the answers.  Always understand what you are signing.  You certainly do not want it to haunt you later.  Talk with a local realtor and ask which attorneys they recommend.

You need to contact a local real estate attorney for the absolute best answer.  They will know of any specific state and area laws that people on here my not.

That said, unless you already happen to have paperwork via the divorce settlement, you are going to have to have your ex sign some sort of paperwork removing her claim to the property.  A quit claim deed may work, but in most divorce situations, there is other paperwork involved as well.

Again, a local real estate (and possibly divorce) attorney will know the answers you're seeking

You will require her signature to get her name off the title, perhaps a quit claim deed.  Perhaps an attorney would be a good idea.