My old AC needs replacing. The cost is @ $5200.00. What kind of return could I expect on this inves

My old AC needs replacing. The cost is @ $5200.00. What kind of return could I expect  on this investment. It seems like a lot of money for something I use 5-6 times a year. I am considering not replacing it. What would you do?

January 10 - Santa Rosa

Profile picture for BungalowMo
Personally, I'd never spend it where I live.

Northern Virginia.  We do get hot...but I have window units & a massive shade tree that covers the West side of the house.  I'd have something better to spend $5200 on.

April 29
Cold Air return.  LOL. Sorry couldn't resist. If you plan to stay and enjoy it, then I would get it. But if you don't really use it that much, it's hardly worth it. Otherwise probably not too much as values are more determined by what the comparables around you are.

February 25
You don't mention how old the unit is, but If you only use it 5-6 times per year, I think a repair would be best, especially if you are planning on selling the home within the next year.

You could also just remove the system and sell the home without it. If the climate is mild enough that it is fairly common for most homes not to have air conditioning anyway, I don't think it will have too much impact on the value. Verify that you have the electrical connections needed for a new AC unit and let the buyers know they could at least save that step if they installed a new system.

Another option to consider if you go the repair route, is to purchase a home warranty for yourself, or sell the home with a home warranty that covers repairs to AC units.

January 10
I also agree that if you rarely use your AC unit it wouldn't make sense to spend such a large amount of money to replace it right now.

January 10
Profile picture for shapiroamg
I'd follow Wetdawgs' advice. 5-6 times per year is not a necessity.

January 10
Repairing/replacing items such as the AC is not considered an investment, simply maintenance.

If you are planning to stay in your home, then I wouldn't replace it.

January 10
That depends on where you live and on the type of weather and temperature is typical for the area.

January 10