Profile picture for toddpinkston

My property value was assesed too low.

My home is appraised at 383,000. My assesed value came in at 101,000.  I think they made a mistake. Can they later come after me with back taxes.
  • January 28 2013 - Gilroy
  • 0

Profile picture for TeamDuBois

I am curious too, if you are seeing the assessment of just the land or the improvement. Counties break down the property into two parts: 1. Land or lot that the home is built on and 2. The home itself AKA "improvement".

If you're being taxes on the combined amount for only $101k, then it may also be that you or your family bought your home some time ago and due to Proposition 13 in California, your property taxes aren't allowed to increase more than 2% per year (see rules for further information). Thus, your equity may improve more quickly than your assessed property value. This is a good thing.

Normally, the only time it will get reassessed at the higher value will be upon a transfer of ownership. So be careful if you plan to change ownership within the family etc.

Profile picture for RealEstateCrew
You will need to check with your county assessor to find out how much they can legal raise the taxes per year and typically an assessor cannot ask for back taxes unless you have built a non-permitted addition and even then the assessor would have to have a ruling.  

Hope this helps

Profile picture for mjwmba
i agree my home is compared to houses twice as old as mine (at least), home sizes are 20-30% smaller than mine, many don't have carports much less a 2 car garage, most have no fireplace, my house has the largest deck in the area - many you compared to have none, and the differences go on.
perhaps it is different in other areas but in st. louis county the tax office is required to check the property in person for comparison, and if the amount is too high for taxes you appeal their results, which i have done and won.  they do uniformly discount market price to tax valuation for some unknown reason, but they do the same to all residential real estate.
i gave you identical houses for comparison yet you used none, while they are not recent, they are all you can compare mine to because the sales happened after the housing price meltdown in this area.   additionally, my area is now rebounding price wise based on recent appraisal company and governmental bodies reports.
if you are going appraise you must view the property,  the NYSE Wall street building is near the empire state building, but they not comparable. I suggest you delete your findings from my house on your site if you are not going to do a professional job of valuation.  your review gives an invalid judgment of my property, and this marketplace  as it is now.

Assessments have nothing to do with the sales value of a home. They are assessed to equalize homes for taxes. Most people want a low assessment to save $$$$ on taxes they pay. They can't retro bill you if they change the assessment. I am curious how long ago you got that appraisal too, and was it for a sale or a refi which often are higher.