Profile picture for JennaSkinner

My real estate agent sucks, but I gave my broker all my info already

My real estate agent sucks. We met her almost three weeks ago now and she took a week long vacation right after we started the process and she wouldn't let anyone in her office show is houses so one we liked sold already. I actually found the broker first (his job is repairing credit to help you buy a home) three weeks now and she hasn't even set us up a "portal" or even found us a home we are interested in. I sent her several listings and asked to view them (didn't realize that was all my job) so I asked the broker to find me a new agent and he keeps saying how great she is. He already has all my information. Should I go ask for it all back? Is he maybe only using one agent? What should I do? I think three weeks is enough time to ask for her to get that program set up, I have agents contacting me left and right from asking questions on zillow about their listings bc if I ask my agent to ask questions it takes me days and multiple asking to get anything answered.
  • June 21 2014 - US
  • 0

So you got a Real Estate Agent referral, from a credit repair guy, who is some kind of Broker (Mortgage?), and it's not going well?

How broken is your credit? This answer could explain why your phone calls aren't receiving priority treatment. It shouldn't explain it, but it probably does.

I'd start all over, if I were you.

Hi Jenna,
Without knowing the circumstances from agents' perspective, it sounds like you've got a problem in that agent.  I would encourage you to state your expectations clearly and definitively to this agent.  They should be there to serve you not the other way around.  Everyone has difficult moments in time but there shouldn't be a pattern.  Do you have a buyer service agreement with this agent?  If not, it's time to demand a change or start looking for someone you can work with.  DON'T let any information you've already communicated about yourself stop you from making a change.  Best Wishes. 

Profile picture for MarkCalgaro
JennaSkinner - Complaining, whining buyer from Hell. You probably can't afford to buy a home. Just stick with renting.

Did you get a Pre-qualification letter yet ? The agent my be waiting for one. It sucks to fall in love with a house only to find out you cant buy it.
If you have all your ducks in a row and no agent to lead you, Its time to move on.

I agree with my colleagues below. This service is substandard and does reflect well on our profession as a whole. There are plenty of wonderful real estate agents and brokers out there that would love to earn your trust and business!

Email the broker with a bcc. Tell him bluntly that your agent has been non responsive and that when you gave him a chance to find you another agent he refused. Explain that his failure to replace your agent has cost you 3 weeks and that you want a signed release form his office within 3 days. 

Do not work with this office. Demand a release ASAP and start interviewing new agents. If the broker promises to do better or find you another agent, tell him he missed that opportunity when he blew you off the first time.

Mack is right...just find someone else.  Three weeks is plenty of time. Consider hiring an Exclusive Buyer Agent, not just a Buyer's Agent. EBAs only work with homebuyers and there is never a conflict of interest that will jeopardize your negotiating position. Contact www.naeba.org for a referral in your area.

Mostly good advice . . . even if you have an exclusive buyer's agreement signed, that agreement is with the brokerage, not the agent.

You don't need "your information back," you can, if you want to, tell the agent that you're leaving her for another agent, and either ask her broker to set up interviews with other agents in the brokerage or find another agent on your own.

If you are a buyer you have no obligation to work with a real estate agent who does not have your needs first and foremost in mind. Look for another agent by getting referrals from friends and/or reading the Bios of the the top real estate agents in your area.

If you are selling you should call the managing agent of that firm and explain the situation. You can ask for a more experienced agent or discuss breaking your contract as the broker did not fulfill their obligations of the contract.

It's important to trust your broker whether you're a buyer or a seller!

Ross Ellia, Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Halstead Property, LLC
[Contact information removed by Zillow Moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy]

Profile picture for RealEstateCrew
Trust your gut, if its time to move on, do so. 

Profile picture for Westside Realtor
Oh dear!  In this market you need an excellent Buyer Agent if you want to have any hope of completing a sale.
 When you interview for another Realtor, make sure you ask them if they "work with buyers". Some agents specialize in taking listings only, and hardly every have a transaction on the "buyer side".  Your Realtor should have some glowing references from other very happy clients that you can call.

It's like any other profession, there are the really great ones and some, no so much!

Try calling a few friends or talking to neighbors about their experiences. There is also www.angieslist.com that has Realtors who have been rated by happy clients. At least that would be a way to start. Ask them how they respond to their clients before you commit to them. 

You have no obligation to stick with a suckie real estate agent.  I do hope you've not signed an exclusive buyer's agent contract.

Simply tell the broker that it is not working for you.   Even the nicest people in the world aren't compatible with everyone.

Doesn't sound good. Unless you have an exclusive contract, I would move on. You deserve better service than that!

Your contract should state what they agreed to do for you in the selling or your home. If they are not compliant to the contract cancel the contract and move on to new Broker/Agent.