Profile picture for Surfrunner

My wife and I want to buy my mother's house and still let her live in it.

My wife and I want to buy my mother's house, since she can no longer afford it and still let her live there. The payoff is $128k. We need to know what type of loan to get. She is over 50 miles away near the Chesapeake Bay and we do stay down there. Would we get a second home loan or an investment loan. My mother will be paying a minimal rent. The second part of this question is since we only need $128k to pay it off (the house is worth $175k), what amount do we apply for and do we need a down payment, since the $128k is way below the value? I should add that she is 80 years old, so refinancing is out..
  • May 15 2013 - Richmond

Justin is correct. It would be treated like primary residence. 

Quite likely you can apply with her to refinance it as a primary residence utilizing the Fannie Mae provision that allows your income to help qualify for a parents home when the parent cannot qualify on their own.

Profile picture for Go Huskers
" I should add that she is 80 years old, so refinancing is out.."
----
What leads you to believe refinancing out for an 80 year old?

Try talking with your local bank or credit union and see what suggestions they have. Perhaps your mother will sell you the house for $160k and gift you $32k (20%) as a down payment, then you can get a conventional mortgage for $128k that will pay off her existing mortgage.